Headlights quit working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dc1974

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado big 10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Question maybe someone can help me out…

I had my front end all apart when I pulled my motor, had most of it sandblasted and powder coated.
After replacing the motor and putting it all back together all my lights worked my problem is signal lights work fine with no other lights on. When you pull the park lights on the blink a little slower and if you pull the headlights on they quit all together.
WTH is going on…

Thanks for any help

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Three words --- grounds, grounds, grounds... Each and every place where the ground wires attach, you MUST grind off the powder coating down to bright bare metal.. Apply a thin layer of grease on the contact area and put a star washer between the wire terminal and the contact surface..

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't know much about wiring and vehicles but the one thing I have learned over the years of owning a square body is that most of these issues are ground related. My tail and break lights both stopped working last year. Upon pulling the lenses one of the ground wires was broke and it was fixed easily.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
In the case of pre-1984 squares, I have found a faulty floor-mounted high/low beam switch to often be the cause of sudden headlight failure or inconsistently functioning headlights. If it is not that, it is either going to be ground issue, or a continuity issue.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Has anyone mentioned grounds yet?
Using a test light, follow your ground wire from the lights, (both headlight and signal) back. I'm pretty sure you will find the issue under the hood.
If you powder coated the motor, run an external ground from the back of your alternator to the frame. There is an unused bolt back there just for that.
Those old AC Delcos are grounded to the block from the factory via the bracket and powder coats are a ground killers for alternators.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
In the case of pre-1984 squares, I have found a faulty floor-mounted high/low beam switch to often be the cause of sudden headlight failure or inconsistently functioning headlights. If it is not that, it is either going to be ground issue, or a continuity issue.
I second this. Was cruising home one night, pitch black country road, and hit the dimmer because of an oncoming car and bam, no lights. Stomped the switch a couple times until I got high beams back and then drove home. I would definitely check the dimmer switch first.

dc1974

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado big 10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Thanks, I’ll see what I can find

Latest posts

Forum statistics