Has Anyone Replaced a Power Antenna Before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Man, I'm pissed, and I guess it's my own fault. I went through a car wash yesterday in my Caprice, and it ripped my antenna mast off. I've had a new $20.00 power antenna to replace the one that was all unplugged and seized or burnt for all I know. I've just been reluctant to undertake the job. Does anyone know how bad this is? I was planning on just taking the whole inner fender out instead of unbolting it partially and wedging something in there to hold it open. I've reconnected the harness and regrounded it inside the car, but its unplugged under the hood so I think all I have to do is install and do a quick rewire if I know the best way to attack it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Aftermarket power antennas are a bit of a crap shoot. They tend to be noisy and don't always last the longest. Installing them really is no different than installing a factory antenna.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, I've dug into it, and it's not fun at all. I had to take the wheel off and the wheel well, battery, battery tray, coolant overflow, and this little carrier that holds the ESC module and some other little relays had to come out. If I didn't already have the little power antenna, I'd just do a fixed mast and be done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising