Who is or has run a 307?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay well this is interesting. The county has found out how many vehicles I have. I have to do some quick condensing and eliminating. I haven't driven a 307 since I was 17. My 70 has no engine,I have a complete running 71 307 sitting in the shop,thinking a weekend project. 929 cam,performer manifold,,edelbrock, just junk I got laying around. Figured somebody here has run this combo.Is it worth it or just do a timing chain put it in stock with the 2bbl?Yea I know you'd get better heads,build a bigger motor, ls swap and a holley,but this crap has that truck running in a weekend so I can do other things to keep the county happy. HAPPY 4TH EVERYBODY

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say maybe the community has limits on number of non operational vehicles visible from the street? Also many places do charge property tax on vehicles. Texas can, but it's up to each county. Many other states do though.
But since it was mentioned that he needs to get this truck running soon.....

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm on 20 acres with no city around me. Moved here,so I wouldn't have to deal with complaints about my cars. The tax man was doing their assessment to make sure I didn't have any improvements on the property that they could charge me for. Noticed my collection of 41cars and reported me to the personal property tax guys. So I gotta strip and junk the parts cars,and get as much junk running and sold,running and parked somewhere else,etc.
Lol they saw my trailers and want taxes for them too.. Lol get the 70 running,put the 75 on the trailer,park the 70,the 75,and the trailer at a friend's property. Guys you know this sh!t doesn't bother me,just like my old stuff has to appear original etc. They make the rules and do my best to work with them or around them. NBD I can't change it so can't let it upset me.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm on 20 acres with no city around me. Moved here,so I wouldn't have to deal with complaints about my cars. The tax man was doing their assessment to make sure I didn't have any improvements on the property that they could charge me for. Noticed my collection of 41cars and reported me to the personal property tax guys. So I gotta strip and junk the parts cars,and get as much junk running and sold,running and parked somewhere else,etc.
Lol they saw my trailers and want taxes for them too.. Lol get the 70 running,put the 75 on the trailer,park the 70,the 75,and the trailer at a friend's property. Guys you know this sh!t doesn't bother me,just like my old stuff has to appear original etc. They make the rules and do my best to work with them or around them. NBD I can't change it so can't let it upset me.
I suspected as much; the community I used to live in(and where my building still is) gets very anal about non moving or expired license plate vehicles. Going round and round with them over a truck right now. Code enforcement officer is definitely NOT a car person, tells us"you can just sell it to the wrecking yard". Yeah so they can give me $200 for a vehicle the running gear alone is worth $1500.... nope.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@Ricko1966 When my son, Tony bought his 68 Chevy II, it had a 307, PG, 10 bolt in it. We put headers on it and a cast Quadrajet manifold and an old Quadrajet carb on it and it ran pretty good. Good enough for him for a couple of years, NOT fast, but fast enough. More mods, i.e. cam, heads, ignition,.....all would have helped it more. It ran just good enough to make him happy, but not get into too much trouble. Still has the car, the engine and the transmission.....not all together. Anyway that is our experience with 307s......seemed to be a decent engine

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm starting to get worried too. Technically there are rules that you can't have more than one unregistered car on the property around here. But I live in the woods and my neighbors don't care, and it's not like I got a junkyard here, everything is parked nicely in a row in my driveway you and can't even really see it from the street.

But the town assessor is coming around soon to try so see what the property is worth, I was planning on just telling the wife to hide and pretend she's not home since I've done some work inside I didn't tell them about. But now that's got me thinking, what if they poke around outside too much and decide to step outside of their role and report back to the town that I have a row of "junk" vehicles (in their eyes) in my driveway, along with some unregistered trailers and scrap metal piles behind the house? Are they gonna get butthurt and tell me I have to plate and inspect them all? Mind your GD business, this is my property.

Fcuk

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Wow, I’m familiar with the city / HOA haters about non running vehicles but if that’s happening out in the county that really sucks.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
307s were nothing to write home about. They never made a 4bbl version, they didn't make a lot of power and the gas mileage was so so. They came out in 1968 as a replacement for the 283, which in my opinion was a better motor.
All that said, if you just need a driver they will do the job. Throw a timing chain and carb on it and run it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm starting to get worried too. Technically there are rules that you can't have more than one unregistered car on the property around here. But I live in the woods and my neighbors don't care, and it's not like I got a junkyard here, everything is parked nicely in a row in my driveway you and can't even really see it from the street.

But the town assessor is coming around soon to try so see what the property is worth, I was planning on just telling the wife to hide and pretend she's not home since I've done some work inside I didn't tell them about. But now that's got me thinking, what if they poke around outside too much and decide to step outside of their role and report back to the town that I have a row of "junk" vehicles (in their eyes) in my driveway, along with some unregistered trailers and scrap metal piles behind the house? Are they gonna get butthurt and tell me I have to plate and inspect them all? Mind your GD business, this is my property.

Fcuk
That is exactly what happened to me. I forget they were called accessors. I wasn't home,my son was they walked around looking for stuff that would raise the property values. Next thing I know I get a letter from linn county tax office saying there's a bunch of stuff here and they need the dollar values. They inventoried them Not by VIN by number and type. I moved here from the city because anything on the property had to be insured,tagged and drivable and rules about working on your car at home.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It'll pep the engine a little. But don't expect a lot. Especially with a 2 barrel and low compression engine.If I had a 307 now,I'd put a good manifold on it,set of duals.Even with a 2 barrel.And a good free flowing air filter. And drive that thang! I love any smallblock chevy tho.I used to run little 283s and 327s too.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
All the government agencies at the local levels are underfunded (I guess, they think they are anyway) so they're out looking for revenue anywhere they can find it. And the "country" is getting city-fied too unfortunately.
Another buddy of mine has lived on the outskirts of Manvel, Texas so long that one of the streets in this subdivision has his last name! Ya know your people been there a while for that to happen! He works on his own vehicles, used to do transmission work on the weekends, and I think they have some animals. Well now the City has grown enough that they're not in the sticks anymore...so I'm sure this'll be happening with their area soon.
None of the Code Enforcement people I've ever dealt with or heard about are "car people" so they really don't "get" why someone else is. To them it's just another excuse to jack a "lower income" or minority person around... In the interest of "gentrification".
If it wasn't the middle of summer, I'd be making room in the building for this other truck (2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali,6.0 AWD) so I could get some parts off it I want to use on my 400 Burb. Wanted to do that over the winter and s**t kept happening that kept me from getting out there and working.
Anybody interested in the running gear outta this one, maybe for a Hot Rod LS Burb?
Sorry for the thread jack BTW....

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It'll pep the engine a little. But don't expect a lot. Especially with a 2 barrel and low compression engine.If I had a 307 now,I'd put a good manifold on it,set of duals.Even with a 2 barrel.And a good free flowing air filter. And drive that thang! I love any smallblock chevy tho.I used to run little 283s and 327s too.
That was kinda the plan.929 cam,performer manifold and an edelbrock just cause the stuff is here taking up space.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I used to have a 73 Camaro Type LT with a 307 innit about 25 years ago.it had the driver seat and OE gage cluster left. Traded it for a complete 81 Trans AM with a 406.

I wish I had a 307 crankshaft to play with, that is the value of the entire engine IMO.

I have since bought a REAL 327 crank and the snout isn't drilled for a pulley.

Keep that good 3.25" crankshaft whatever ya do... You could certainly sell it to me. :D buddy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1