Harbor Freight recalls 454,000 jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr4454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
About the only defense I can offer of the China outlet store is that you get Chinese stuff at Chinese prices. It pi$$es me off enough that we've sold our industrial soul to a Communist country, but it pi$$es me off even more when American companies offshore their production and then charge USA prices.

It's about the only thing I can say in defense of Walmart too. However, it doesn't change the fact that we're still making a national mistake by supporting this nonsense. So, pretty much the only things I shop there for are the things that are universally made of Chineseium anyway so I might as well pay appropriately.
Well Said

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had 3 pairs - 2 are going back. Have a second set of the 3 ton and they're identical except a different number. Had a car sitting on these for almost 2 yrs, with no problem, but always kept a floor jack under it as a backup when I was.

Main stuff I buy there are the disposables - latex gloves, buffer pads, etc. Wont buy hand tools because they're never quite forged right to size. The drills are total garbage. I do like their Daytona floor jack - bought 2 and they're the best ones I ever had.....made in the same sweatshop as SnapOns. My Dewalt power tools are all chicom, as is about every name brand electronic in the house. Not going to avoid it regardless what brand name you pick - unless you're real lucky at estate sales...and even then, hope they're not ragged out as any replacement parts are also china....or worse. Look at even AC Delco's OE parts.

And dont hold your breath for it to change any time soon....regardless of the sound bites. People in charge are alot of that group thats profiting....and they could care less about flags, people, culture, etc.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It's not fair too say you don't like McDonald's I've gotten lots of good food there, and it saves lots of people money they can use elsewhere, you just gotta pick what you buy,etc.etc.Its not fair to say you don't buy cheap cams lots of people have had good luck and saved money.Do you see where this is going you don't like McDonald's and that's your right. I don't like harbor freight and thats my right.Does a more expensive coke from somewhere else taste better?See you gotta pick and choose.
My coke is pretty expensive, are you saying you know a guy who can get it cheaper!?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You just have to use judgement when buying anything from Hazard Fraught.
Battery powered? Pass
Needs to be sharp? Pass
Needs to be durable? Pass

I have impact socket sets, 18" breaker bars, cheap grinders and a few other things that last. Their cheap plastic safety glasses have probably saved me a few trips to the eye doctor.
Their stuff is fine for most of us hobbyists but aren't intended for the pro.
Matter of fact, if I pulled my junk into a professional shop and saw a HF tool, I'd back out and find another shop.
ViceGripGarage has tons of Pittsburgh Brand tools and many US General tool boxes. He loves HF and getting stuff their. He runs a professional shop, he also has quality stuff that needs to be quality. And before you say anything about the junk he features on his YouTube channel you haven't watched enough. He has had several beautiful professional Chevelles that he has restored and sold. And he also does professional beautiful frame off restorations for clients. Says he only does about one a year. They YouTube stuff is for views , fun and quick flip money.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Since the stickers are missing from mine, I dug out the reciept and mine are a different number than the recalled ones. I am thinking about modifying them to add a locking pin like the strongway stands have.

I can't tell you how impressed I am that you keep receipts that long and that organized.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had 3 pairs - 2 are going back. Have a second set of the 3 ton and they're identical except a different number. Had a car sitting on these for almost 2 yrs, with no problem, but always kept a floor jack under it as a backup when I was.

Main stuff I buy there are the disposables - latex gloves, buffer pads, etc. Wont buy hand tools because they're never quite forged right to size. The drills are total garbage. I do like their Daytona floor jack - bought 2 and they're the best ones I ever had.....made in the same sweatshop as SnapOns. My Dewalt power tools are all chicom, as is about every name brand electronic in the house. Not going to avoid it regardless what brand name you pick - unless you're real lucky at estate sales...and even then, hope they're not ragged out as any replacement parts are also china....or worse. Look at even AC Delco's OE parts.

And dont hold your breath for it to change any time soon....regardless of the sound bites. People in charge are alot of that group thats profiting....and they could care less about flags, people, culture, etc.
Yep I just replaced all the rubber brake hoses on my k10. I bought from Rock Auto. Mainly because of the good prices and they ship fast.

I went with AC Delco cause I didn't want to worry about fitment issues and they were only a few more dollars than the cheapest China hoses they offered. After I put the first one on, I either saw it on the sticker on the hose or the box "Made In China"o_O You just can't get away from it no matter what it seems like. Granted I didn't buy them thinking or hoping they would be made in USA just that I was thinking fitment would be less of a problem potentially and that they would be one tick above the lowest tier China hose .

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ViceGripGarage has tons of Pittsburgh Brand tools and many US General tool boxes. He loves HF and getting stuff their. He runs a professional shop, he also has quality stuff that needs to be quality. And before you say anything about the junk he features on his YouTube channel you haven't watched enough. He has featured in several of of his his videos beautiful Chevelles that he has restored and sold. And he also does professional beautiful frame off restorations for clients. Says he only does about one a year. They YouTube stuff is for views , fun and quick flip money.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm with salty crusty on this one.I've done this for a living.Ive worked at mom and pop shops, dealerships, corporate franchise shops.Worked where we had in shop machine shop, engine dyno, flow bench etc. Done frame off restorations. All the real players including me had Snap On, Matco, Mac tools and tool boxes.When I worked at Firestone the lowest box in the shop was Craftsman with craftsman tools,and the Kid was like 18 and just getting started Sure I had a craftsmanbox at home for weekend stuff, thus where I got the bad taste for harbor freight.If I needed something cheap on the weekend because I couldn't get to my goid toolbox I tried their stuff.ITS NOT AS GOOD that's my opinion and Crusty has his.You don't like McDonald's some of us do.Its our opinion and we are allowed to have it.You like harbor freight some of us don't ,some are selective.Get over it what do own a harbor freight franchise?Man sorry to be so harsh but every time someone gives their own personal opinion about Harbor freight tools you want to turn it a debate.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm with salty crusty on this one.I've done this for a living.Ive worked at mom and pop shops, dealerships, corporate franchise shops.Worked where we had in shop machine shop, engine dyno, flow bench etc. Done frame off restorations. All the real players including me had Snap On, Matco, Mac tools and tool boxes.When I worked at Firestone the lowest box in the shop was Craftsman with craftsman tools,and the Kid was like 18 and just getting started Sure I had a craftsmanbox at home for weekend stuff, thus where I got the bad taste for harbor freight.If I needed something cheap on the weekend because I couldn't get to my goid toolbox I tried their stuff.ITS NOT AS GOOD that's my opinion and Crusty has his.You don't like McDonald's some of us do.Its our opinion and we are allowed to have it.You like harbor freight some of us don't ,some are selective.Get over it what do own a harbor freight franchise?Man sorry to be so harsh but every time someone gives their own personal opinion about Harbor freight tools you want to turn it a debate.

You are 100% correct that it's just an opinion. But it seems like every time someone brings it up, someone else also insinuates that any 'professional' shop or mechanic that uses Harbor Freight tools is a hack. It's not an opinion, but fact that that there's some very exceptional technicians performing superb work with some low-grade tools. But unfortunately, there's also a bunch of hacks too, lol.

I'm not trying to continue a debate here, just a friendly discussion. Truthfully, the vast majority of my tools are Snap On, Mac and Cornwell. I have a lot of Craftsman stuff too, but that was just my budget home stuff, before I brought all my work stuff home. Then there's the assortment of Harbor Freight stuff, most of which was purchased when I worked at the shop. I've been called a tool snob many times, but the HF stuff shows that I'm open minded.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You are 100% correct that it's just an opinion. But it seems like every time someone brings it up, someone else also insinuates that any 'professional' shop or mechanic that uses Harbor Freight tools is a hack. It's not an opinion, but fact that that there's some very exceptional technicians performing superb work with some low-grade tools. But unfortunately, there's also a bunch of hacks too, lol.

I'm not trying to continue a debate here, just a friendly discussion. Truthfully, the vast majority of my tools are Snap On, Mac and Cornwell. I have a lot of Craftsman stuff too, but that was just my budget home stuff, before I brought all my work stuff home. Then there's the assortment of Harbor Freight stuff, most of which was purchased when I worked at the shop. I've been called a tool snob many times, but the HF stuff shows that I'm open minded.
Awesome, good reply, when I was first getting started I used what tools I had, what tools I could afford, and improvised where I had to, until I could do better.I actually look back at some of that and think wow I can't believe I did it that way, not cause it was wrong just because it was harder or took longer.Flat Rate is Flat Rate your getting paid 2hrs if it takes you 1 or takes 5.Its no sin to have cheap tools if that's what you need and that's what's gets you by.I'm saying that to anyone this is not aimed at Bucket.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
HFs new tool line gets great reviews, can’t remember the name off the top of my head right now, but it’s not exactly a bargain. For the most part I try to buy American or at least North American/Mexican aka our neighbors. I’ll be investing in some new tools later this year. Still need to do some research. There was a company that @Arkansas_V8 brought up around 6 months ago that intrigued me. Made in America, lifetime warranty & reasonable prices. Maybe he’ll chime in and remind me.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
HFs new tool line gets great reviews, can’t remember the name off the top of my head right now, but it’s not exactly a bargain. For the most part I try to buy American or at least North American/Mexican aka our neighbors. I’ll be investing in some new tools later this year. Still need to do some research. There was a company that @Arkansas_V8 brought up around 6 months ago that intrigued me. Made in America, lifetime warranty & reasonable prices. Maybe he’ll chime in and remind me.

“Tekton”. They have American made stuff, stuff made in Taiwan and of course some made in China. They are honest about it all though.

https://www.tekton.com/

Where We Make Our Tools
At this time, about 75% of our current product lineup is made in Taiwan, 19% in the United States, and 5% in China. You can find the country of origin for every tool on Tekton.com by scrolling to the bottom of the product page and referring to the "Specs" section.

The coolest part about what we do is something new taking place here in West Michigan, one of the world’s leading manufacturing hubs. All sorts of advanced fabrication methods are found here to meet the needs of the automotive, furniture, and medical device industries at globally competitive costs.

Why, we wondered, don’t we employ the resources right in our backyard to make tools like no one has ever made them? So we did. We built our own specialized local supply chains to roll out products like our angle head wrenches, crowfoot wrenches, screwdrivers, and nut drivers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes