Harbor Freight recalls 454,000 jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I can get ya an 8 ball for 320 hmu

/S

Pretty f'n expensive from the last time I purchased such a substance, but my prices are dated probably 7 years ago.

Times change.

By the way, don't crawl under a car supported by HF Jackstands

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I can get ya an 8 ball for 320 hmu

/S

Wow, never paid that much. And it wasn't even stepped on much at all. Like said this was about 10 years ago.

Even after an 8 ball I still wouldn't buy HF Jack stands. Lol

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Wow, never paid that much. And it wasn't even stepped on much at all. Like said this was about 10 years ago.

Even after an 8 ball I still wouldn't buy HF Jack stands. Lol
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

After that kinda price for an 8 ball, all you could afford is HF Jack stands!

HOTFOOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc k3500 srw
Engine Size
Racing junk says that 1.75 million jack stands recalled ouch!!!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Tekton seems to be very comparable to Craftsman, as far as quality goes.
Seems random but now that you mention it. I use their deep and regular impact sockets extensively. They hold up good, the only one starting to get real worn is my 14mm from my first set(I bought 3 sets of the same deep Wells because I keep losing them) because I used it a lot on the square and various other stuff that a 14mm is damn near the same on. All rusted and required the third setting on my big Milwaukee impact.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Best values I have found at Hazard Fraught are the impact sockets and the 18" all chrome breaker bar. I haven't busted a bar or socket yet or even rounded a socket out. I bought a couple of their newer all chrome ratchets and so far, so good. Their little aluminum "racing" jacks at about $60 with a coupon are a good deal for what they are. Much better than the little red floor jacks everybody sells and will handle pretty much any little job around the house unless you roll on 35's. Their better air hoses are good for what you pay, too.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Awesome, good reply, when I was first getting started I used what tools I had, what tools I could afford, and improvised where I had to, until I could do better.I actually look back at some of that and think wow I can't believe I did it that way, not cause it was wrong just because it was harder or took longer.Flat Rate is Flat Rate your getting paid 2hrs if it takes you 1 or takes 5.Its no sin to have cheap tools if that's what you need and that's what's gets you by.I'm saying that to anyone this is not aimed at Bucket.
I am not a professional, I have never worked in a garage as such. The closest I ever came was when I helped on brakes in my father in laws auto repair shop. I was more a gopher, parts and errands runner. I did oil changes and helped on other jobs just want turning wrenches.

I pretty much do all my own work. To a point. I wouldn't attempt an engine replacement in my Sequoia, I ha e never done one in anything actually. I would do one on my square if needed though. I do things like valve covers and timing belts , AC repair, brakes, everything brake system, starters ,alternators, all bolt on parts, pulled the intake on my Highlander to change plugs. In the square I have done bolt on stuff, pulled axle shafts done rear bearings and stuff like that. I say this just to give an idea of my ability. I'm not a pro but do a lot more than many guys and not as much as others. But I have cheap tools, I like my HF stuff, I can buy way more there than I cannot I even bought kobolt or Craftsman. But when I was in High school or college and even right out of school I look back at all I did with the cheap tools that I had and how few I did and I can't believe I did half the stuff that I did with as few tools as I had then.

Like now I have at least three if not four sets of normal box end wrenches, not including the really cheap partial sets or orphan wrenches I bought when I was in like high school and I needed a wrench for a job. I didn't have much money at all. I would go to a pawn shop and literally buy the wrench i needed, because I didn't have a set or the set was the incomplete.

My husband income is way greater today but as everyone I have many things that compete for that precious income, and not being a professional, tools don't fall high on that list unless they are needed for an immediate repair.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't even understand all this drug talk?:33::eek:o_O:Big Laugh::angels2: Seriously?

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have 3 sets of those HF stands and one of mine dropped once. I thought it was just a fluke thing but seeing this I’m gonna go get my money and find something else. I had the back of my VW on them, granted it was only 1 notch above bottomed out, and was lifting the front to put it on stands and the back drivers side fell. I didn’t think anything of it at the time. Thanks for posting this here!
I had the 6 ton ones, and noticed when you wiggled the saddle it would fall down. Only happened on the one. The other seemed fine, but the opening for the saddle seemed to be too big and didn’t hold the saddle tight enough to not wiggle. But I was always able to make that one saddle fall with just my hands. I knew there was something sketchy about these stands long before the recall. And now they are recalling the new red ones as well because of failing welds. Never going to trust their jack stands. I bought ACDelco ones and I’m trying to save for some US made Hein werners. Their floor jacks are great though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I saw a video Scotty Kilmer did and he said even the replacements that they gave were failing. He was saying something about welds failure ng where they were seamed together on the sides.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had 2 pairs of the recalled stands (3 ton and 6 ton). Never had any issues with them but never crawled under either without a floor jack (or 2) as a Plan B - regardless who made them. The ones they gave me in return act like what they were claiming the old ones did. I wont use them.

Picking up some Hein-Werners instead. Most other brands are still chi-com and look alot like the HF ones. Probably from the same sweat shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224