Harbor Freight recalls 454,000 jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay if I knew they were garbage I wouldn't have bought them.An aluminum flashlight that looks as good as a mag light I thought I was getting a bargain.Who expects that a 1/2 square stock prybar is going to be so soft it bends.A 40.00 meter yea should of known better.And I would bet 450,000 people looked at those jack stands and thought wow those look dangerous I think I'll grab a pair.No matter what pick,choose ,shoulda known better whatever I've had way better luck buying name brand stuff. Glad you've had such great luck with HF

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've had way better luck buying name brand stuff too, but that wasn't the point. It's just not right to say that everything they sell is junk when in fact, a lot of it works well and holds up in the long run. Yeah it's kind of trial and error buying the stuff they peddle, but even with the duds, it still can save the average person a lot of money. A person can afford to get more done when they save a bunch of money on tools.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
What I said was I've been disappointed 99 percent of the time so I don't shop there anymore.And still stand by that.McDonalds can save you money too but who would eat there if even just 15% of there food was inedible.Would you use a harbor freight parachute.Probably not.Its just my opinion and just my expierience but I don't like to judge any place by you have to pick and choose, gotta be careful, I've had more good expieriences than bad.etc. when I buy something I don't want to have problems with it don't want to baby it and don't want to have to modify it.If I could buy cams for1/2 price but some of them were going to go flat I'd buy different cams.Again just my personal preference and opinions.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I second what member "bluex" said. Imported but double-locking and very sturdy. Available in 12-T and 6-T.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
About the only defense I can offer of the China outlet store is that you get Chinese stuff at Chinese prices. It pi$$es me off enough that we've sold our industrial soul to a Communist country, but it pi$$es me off even more when American companies offshore their production and then charge USA prices.

It's about the only thing I can say in defense of Walmart too. However, it doesn't change the fact that we're still making a national mistake by supporting this nonsense. So, pretty much the only things I shop there for are the things that are universally made of Chineseium anyway so I might as well pay appropriately.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
You just have to use judgement when buying anything from Hazard Fraught.
Battery powered? Pass
Needs to be sharp? Pass
Needs to be durable? Pass

I have impact socket sets, 18" breaker bars, cheap grinders and a few other things that last. Their cheap plastic safety glasses have probably saved me a few trips to the eye doctor.
Their stuff is fine for most of us hobbyists but aren't intended for the pro.
Matter of fact, if I pulled my junk into a professional shop and saw a HF tool, I'd back out and find another shop.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What I said was I've been disappointed 99 percent of the time so I don't shop there anymore.And still stand by that.McDonalds can save you money too but who would eat there if even just 15% of there food was inedible.Would you use a harbor freight parachute.Probably not.Its just my opinion and just my expierience but I don't like to judge any place by you have to pick and choose, gotta be careful, I've had more good expieriences than bad.etc. when I buy something I don't want to have problems with it don't want to baby it and don't want to have to modify it.If I could buy cams for1/2 price but some of them were going to go flat I'd buy different cams.Again just my personal preference and opinions.

I don't like McDonald's and I don't buy cheap cams. A lot of their stuff just plain works and it's far less than half of what it would cost elsewhere. Parts stores sell the same type of products but you have to pay a lot more. Some of the stuff is obviously junk and you don't have to worry about buying it to try it out. Unfortunately some people can't see that before they spend the money.

As I said earlier, I would have never bought their jack stands. If your life can depend on it, or if it has the potential to cause a lot of damage when it fails, it's best to just keep shopping.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
About the only defense I can offer of the China outlet store is that you get Chinese stuff at Chinese prices. It pi$$es me off enough that we've sold our industrial soul to a Communist country, but it pi$$es me off even more when American companies offshore their production and then charge USA prices.
And we buy the cheapest possible products always and drive US jobs to other countries and put US businesses and workers out off jobs.I
It's about the only thing I can say in defense of Walmart too. However, it doesn't change the fact that we're still making a national mistake by supporting this nonsense. So, pretty much the only things I shop there for are the things that are universally made of Chineseium anyway so I might as well pay appropriately.
I agree I wish they had to play on a level playing field.Wages pollution work conditions etc. or at least be tarriffed enough so that good companies could compete.

Last edited:

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Since the stickers are missing from mine, I dug out the reciept and mine are a different number than the recalled ones. I am thinking about modifying them to add a locking pin like the strongway stands have.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't like McDonald's and I don't buy cheap cams. A lot of their stuff just plain works and it's far less than half of what it would cost elsewhere. Parts stores sell the same type of products but you have to pay a lot more. Some of the stuff is obviously junk and you don't have to worry about buying it to try it out. Unfortunately some people can't see that before they spend the money.

As I said earlier, I would have never bought their jack stands. If your life can depend on it, or if it has the potential to cause a lot of damage when it fails, it's best to just keep shopping.
It's not fair too say you don't like McDonald's I've gotten lots of good food there, and it saves lots of people money they can use elsewhere, you just gotta pick what you buy,etc.etc.Its not fair to say you don't buy cheap cams lots of people have had good luck and saved money.Do you see where this is going you don't like McDonald's and that's your right. I don't like harbor freight and thats my right.Does a more expensive coke from somewhere else taste better?See you gotta pick and choose.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You just have to use judgement when buying anything from Hazard Fraught.
Battery powered? Pass
Needs to be sharp? Pass
Needs to be durable? Pass

I have impact socket sets, 18" breaker bars, cheap grinders and a few other things that last. Their cheap plastic safety glasses have probably saved me a few trips to the eye doctor.
Their stuff is fine for most of us hobbyists but aren't intended for the pro.
Matter of fact, if I pulled my junk into a professional shop and saw a HF tool, I'd back out and find another shop.
My impact sockets are snap on but that's my choice.My safety glasses come from safety glasses usa. In three Rivers MI. I'd list the website if I knew it.

The reason I'm telling you all this is this just might benefit some of you.They sell safety glasses that resemble sunglasses in clear, indoor/ outdoor amber for low light and smoke for bright conditions,,,,, but the kicker is you can get the bottom half any magnification you want 1.0 2.5 etc. I wear a pair all day most days.In front of my eyes, on top of my head, on the bill of a hat on the back of my neck.But I've always got glasses that I can read with if under a hood, under a car, getting groceries or buying gas I can always read and they've saved my eyeballs more than once.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's not fair too say you don't like McDonald's I've gotten lots of good food there, and it saves lots of people money they can use elsewhere, you just gotta pick what you buy,etc.etc.Its not fair to say you don't buy cheap cams lots of people have had good luck and saved money.Do you see where this is going you don't like McDonald's and that's your right. I don't like harbor freight and thats my right.Does a more expensive coke from somewhere else taste better?See you gotta pick and choose.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I guess I just felt the need to defend Harbor Freight because a lot of folks say that everything they sell is worthless junk.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
seen this post and never looked at mine. Shew they are made by Mack.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Took mine back. Only found two with the right p/n. Guy at the counter said, “You want to grab another pair?”

I left with a store credit. The wife wouldn’t be happy if I came home with more potentially faulty jack stands.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk