Harbor Freight recalls 454,000 jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hein-Werners are 'assembled' in US now (of global parts)....only the casting is US, the base is chi-com. Their reviews aren't that great anymore.

Still looking for a jack stand worth buying.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Just got this email today:

To the Harbor Freight Community:
I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.
A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.
Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).
We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.
I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.
As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.
Sincerely,
[https://ci4]
Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools
[https://ci3]Harbor Freight Tools | 26541 Agoura Road | Calabasas, CA 91302 | 1-800-444-3353 | Unsubscribe

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Oh great. Now I gotta find out what fricken jack stands I have. That is a fear of mine working on this truck, I have never worked on a crew cab, long box before...there is a lot of area there that 4 jack stands are currently holding up.

I do however make it a point to have my floor jack with me wherever I am working on the truck. I usually put the floor jack so it puts a tiny amount of pressure on the frame, axle, hitch...whatever is strong enough to hold the truck if she were to fall.

My number 1 priority at all times is safety when doing anything!

Glad I saw this post. I will be inspecting my jack stands now. Thanks for the info everyone.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just getting ready to post this myself. I had 2 pairs of HF stands that I never had any issues with, but took them back nonetheless. The replacements I will NOT use - far worse and finicky than the ones I took back. I told them the new ones sounded more like how they described the old ones.

At least I'll have a few $ to buy something else.....from a different sweat shop. ?!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
When I returned mine a couple months ago, I opted for the store credit. I have four other really good jack stands, so fortunately I wasn’t in need. If I had to make a second return for the pair I initially had (3 trips counting the purchase) it would be more money in gas than they’re worth. My closest HF is about 50 minutes away.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I could use 6 of them to make a platform bed.But I'd have to reinforce them first.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I never had any. had the brand menards sells.

But most of mine are homade... seems sketchy, but they are some tough ass steel. weigh like 35+ pounds each

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes