Got to a project I was putting off... Swapping to a tilt column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
A while back I found a factory tilt column off a '76 square body. I planned to put it in my 1980 square, but I had a feeling it would be pretty involved, and it definitely was. I'm glad I did it, but it took a long time to do it right.

I ended up replacing the wiring, turn signal switch, and various other parts with all new stuff from LMC. Some of it was out of necessity, some was just cheap insurance.

I got surpised by a couple of things, such as the ignition lock from my non tilt colum wouldn't work, because the part is different for tilt vs non tilt, so then I had to order a new one with keys. Also, the ignition switch is different for tilt versions, and somehow I didn't take it when I pulled the tilt column at the yard. Not a big deal to order a replacement, but it was really puzzling trying to figure out how to plug everything back in, as I'm on my back under the dash, because they don't plug in the same way as the non tilt column, and so the pictures I took to help me put it back together were worthless.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the end result. It took a lot of hours to rebuild it the way I did, but it should be less likely to give me issues.

It looks and works great. Gives my arms more room to stretch out and hold the wheel, and makes it easier to get in and out without whacking a knee
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Whats the point of tilt column? Is it if youre really big..? I Guess mine sits just fine, I think

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i dont mean it in an offensive way, I meant big as in like larger. Like does a person who is 6'3" have trouble fitting in with a non tilt column? I dont have any reference. Is it too low? Too high? Does it move the steering wheel closer to you( no idea if its length is the same as non tilt)
Im curious, I just dont have any reference. Like in my car, I tilt the steering wheel to not cut off my view from dash cluster but thats the only reason.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
i dont mean it in an offensive way, I meant big as in like larger. Like does a person who is 6'3" have trouble fitting in with a non tilt column? I dont have any reference. Is it too low? Too high? Does it move the steering wheel closer to you( no idea if its length is the same as non tilt)
Im curious, I just dont have any reference. Like in my car, I tilt the steering wheel to not cut off my view from dash cluster but thats the only reason.
It definitely helps more, the bigger and taller the individual. Look at the top of the steering wheel when it's tilted up. It gives you more room for your arms. Notice the space between the seat. This makes it easier to get in and out without hitting a knee on the wheel or column.

Now, if someone is the reverse they're really short and small, being able to move the wheel down helps them to better reach the wheel

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah my knees hit the hazard switch in my way in n out sometimes.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Interesting. I've seen most people exchange the tilt column for a non tilt because of all the issues they sometimes tend to have.

For a squarebody, I don't need the tilt I don't guess... I'm but 6 foot 5. No issues there.

Now in something small like my 1 ton s10 blazer , tilt is a necessity. Lol lol

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Interesting. I've seen most people exchange the tilt column for a non tilt because of all the issues they sometimes tend to have.

For a squarebody, I don't need the tilt I don't guess... I'm but 6 foot 5. No issues there.

Now in something small like my 1 ton s10 blazer , tilt is a necessity. Lol lol
What, do you have T Rex arms or something? [emoji1787]

It's one of those things that while not 100% necessary, adds just enough convenience and comfort to make it worthwhile.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Also, the majority of the problems people have with a tilt column, are when they get loose... Usually from people pulling themself in and out of the truck by using the steering wheel as a grab bar.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I like a tilt wheel. Got one in both camaro's and the square. Otherwise it's like driving a school bus. Lol

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
What, do you have T Rex arms or something? [emoji1787]

It's one of those things that while not 100% necessary, adds just enough convenience and comfort to make it worthwhile.

I need the steering wheel tilted up so my legs can fit under it in the s10.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I plan to swap the one from the Suburban donor into the pickup for the exact same reason I liked it in the Suburban. Tilted one notch up from straight the steering wheel rim doesn't obstruct the oil pressure gauge. Set it and forget it.

I have to agree with @MisterB. Most of the problems come from people using it as a grab-handle, or people pulling the tilt lever and just letting the wheel bang into the up position when the get in and out of the truck.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I plan to swap the one from the Suburban donor into the pickup for the exact same reason I liked it in the Suburban. Tilted one notch up from straight the steering wheel rim doesn't obstruct the oil pressure gauge. Set it and forget it.

I have to agree with @MisterB. Most of the problems come from people using it as a grab-handle, or people pulling the tilt lever and just letting the wheel bang into the up position when the get in and out of the truck.
im fortunate the view is unobstructed where i sit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gage T