Got a van

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 Chevyrado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Got it from a friend of my dad's, and a good deal, so I jumped on it. so now the truck can go back to being a pretty weekend driver except for wrecker duty.... :D

Got it for $1500
1999 Astro van, fleet maintained, setup for an elevator company to begin with, 179k, runs like a top, has had a lot of work done already, just needs tires, fluid flushes and a battery which will cost about $600 or so callit a $2100 van. body is straight and the paints shiny, a few skins on it, but that's about it. this'll be so much easier than any pickup truck...

I was talking with my dad about wanting a van and he said, hang on a minute and called his buddy, an hour later we were at his house, put my truck battery in it to get it to go and test drove it, liked it, jumped it off and took it home 30 mins later... it was dirty, but it clean now. has all the nice racks and stuff, rides n drives good. I like it, and I now wont have to worry about dents and scratches anymore...

You must be registered for see images attach

Trucks just too expensive and inconvenient to work out of. it would be ok with OD, but the trans and engine are still good and I can't make myself replace either until at least one of them breaks...

Now I don't have to worry bout it.

It needs tires, battery and a lil misc stuff under $100 I'll be working out of it in a couple of weeks.

never EVER thought id be so happy to have a van, as vans are not my thing. never have been, but I love this one! lol

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Plus less wear and tear on the truck and less chance f the dreaded fender bender happening to the truck. Good deal by the way.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
man we use the newer chevy vans at work and we put the miles on them. we had one with 450 mileson it before we traded it in.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Heck yea man! That looks handy as hell, and save wear and tear on your truck.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Man I'm jealous, when I was working construction I wanted to get one of these and head my own crew, then ****** up my back and things changed. That would have been the perfect van for that plan.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like a great service van!

Plus, you can have a lot of fun in those torquey/top-heavy things. I've got them to pop the front wheels off the pavement before.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Vans drive a heck of a lot better now than they used to, if you've ever driven a van from the 70's you'll know what I'm talking about. I had an '06 Express and loved it, what a cruiser! Even the wife liked driving it and she only likes "cute" cars, she won't even consider driving the burb but she always liked the van. Hated to sell it but the job ended. Like C4O, I'm jealous, enjoy your new ride.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Very nice! I had a setup like that when I was an installer for ADT.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
They're driven hard, but you can buy retired AT&T Express full size vans, set up alot like that one for pretty cheap from Copart. I hauled many many Express Vans to Copart, picking them up at various AT&T Sub locations around the state. I always did like the racks and cabinets in those things. A plumber or electricians dream vehicle. Many of them ran too, and what little I did drive them, around parking lots and such, they drove, rode and handled pretty good. The AT&T Trucks to avoid are the GMT400 SRW 1 Tons with the gray Utility bodies. Those things are wore smooth out. I've seen them as high as 425,000 miles. Usually about 200,000-300,000 miles and in need of a major repair is usually when they'll go to auction. The Vans are not near as bad since AT&T is gradually buying CNG Ferd Vans so the Chevy Express Vans are getting recycled out with 150,000-250,000 and may be a good runner without need of a major repair.

78 Chevyrado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
getting tags and such tomorrow morning and then loadin it up and workin it. It needed a battery and alternator, but to my amazement, the alternator only took 30 mins to install... I like it very much. it's quiet and drives great and smooth.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That is a good investment. If I didn't have a Burb I would have a van. Those are good units. Is that AWD or 2WD? :popcorn:

78 Chevyrado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It's 2WD with the 4.3L

Got it ready and my junk loaded into it.

It needed and battery and alternator. I was worried bout the alt, but it only took 30 mins to change... no lie

Now I got my GPS in it, and emptied out the truck. kinda felt bad like I was selling the truck or something though i'm not...lol

Here's what I got Right now....
Side door

Back door

Back door 2, plus the boxes on the barn doors... VERY handy!

The dude Abides!

Ready to work tomorrow morning

I have cleaners in the crankcase, trans, PS, and gas tank. in a week or two of them circulating, all fluids will be flushed and brought up to my spec... (good enough for me) which can be pretty high.

Is there anything to use to clean out a diff while you drive? That's the only thing I have a ? about. It will be flushed too, but id like to have something to clean it while I drive to get the most out of the flush I can.

It does need shocks... especially since I loaded my junk into it. whats the best most Hd shocks for something like that?

Thanks for the comments guys, Ill let yall know how it goes week by week for a while.

Kenny

78 Chevyrado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Kinda (not kinda, real) feel bad stripping the truck to load tha van... I hated that. but it'll make me way more money... that's what it's about afterall... but I still do have the truck for HD stuff.

Just felt kinda bad like I'm ditching a child or something...

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Nice collection of tools. Roofer?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Nice score. I would use that for junk yard runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe