"GIR's Truck" or "The Story of How I Got Here"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xicor37

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 reg cab, short bed, step side
Engine Size
355 TPI
Hello, my name is Tyler and I have the best dog in the world, GIR. An Australian Cattle Dog that I swear is smarter than most people I know.

Ten years ago I bought him from a cattle rancher that used heelers on his farm. GIR was born in the bed of a rusted out, broken down, old, stepside, square body.

When I first saw the litter they were nursing on their mom. One of them waddled up to me and growled... I think I'll call him grrr. (Later changed to GIR from a cartoon)

GIR has been obsessed with trucks his whole life. It's nearly impossible to leave the house without him and when I do I hear about it when I get home. Fast forward 10+ years. GIR just had surgery to remove a massive splenic tumor. Realizing he is in the twilight of his life I decided to build him his own truck. One just like he was born in.

I spent about a month looking for the right one. I asked coworkers and searched Craigslist daily. Near the end of February a coworker was moving and I offered to help him with my duramax/huge trailer combo. When his moving day arrived life happened and I had to back out. That day he called me and said he couldn't find a truck and trailer anywhere and a uhaul would be too costly. Then he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. If I let him borrow my truck and trailer for the day, he would give me his 1977 chevy project. Needless to say I said yes.

The truck:
1977 chevy shortbed stepside. It's 4x4 with a 350 and a manual trans.
The good:
Rust free crack free freshly restored frame
rebuilt 350 .30 over to 355 holley 650 4bbl. Engine looks new, chevy orange
Rebuilt 4sp manual trans and rebuilt np205 both, chevy orange
Rebuilt axles, corporate 12 bolt rear and corporate 10 bolt front
New brakes all the way around.
100% completely rust free body!

The bad:
Body was dissassembled for paint and I have a rolling frame, major body parts, and a whole heap of boxes full of trim etc.
There is no wood for the bed.
Tires are shot.

Um.. the end.. or rather, the begining. :)

Pics soon
~Tyler

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
That's a pretty cool story man, welcome to GMSB.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Welcome to the site! :handshake: post pics of what you do got even if it's in pieces:)

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome! Thats so far the craziest story I have herd leading to a truck restoration, I hope you enjoy it as much as your doggie does!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hello, my name is Tyler and I have the best dog in the world, GIR. An Australian Cattle Dog that I swear is smarter than most people I know.

Ten years ago I bought him from a cattle rancher that used heelers on his farm. GIR was born in the bed of a rusted out, broken down, old, stepside, square body.

When I first saw the litter they were nursing on their mom. One of them waddled up to me and growled... I think I'll call him grrr. (Later changed to GIR from a cartoon)

GIR has been obsessed with trucks his whole life. It's nearly impossible to leave the house without him and when I do I hear about it when I get home. Fast forward 10+ years. GIR just had surgery to remove a massive splenic tumor. Realizing he is in the twilight of his life I decided to build him his own truck. One just like he was born in.

I spent about a month looking for the right one. I asked coworkers and searched Craigslist daily. Near the end of February a coworker was moving and I offered to help him with my duramax/huge trailer combo. When his moving day arrived life happened and I had to back out. That day he called me and said he couldn't find a truck and trailer anywhere and a uhaul would be too costly. Then he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. If I let him borrow my truck and trailer for the day, he would give me his 1977 chevy project. Needless to say I said yes.

The truck:
1977 chevy shortbed stepside. It's 4x4 with a 350 and a manual trans.
The good:
Rust free crack free freshly restored frame
rebuilt 350 .30 over to 355 holley 650 4bbl. Engine looks new, chevy orange
Rebuilt 4sp manual trans and rebuilt np205 both, chevy orange
Rebuilt axles, corporate 12 bolt rear and corporate 10 bolt front
New brakes all the way around.
100% completely rust free body!

The bad:
Body was dissassembled for paint and I have a rolling frame, major body parts, and a whole heap of boxes full of trim etc.
There is no wood for the bed.
Tires are shot.

Um.. the end.. or rather, the begining. :)

Pics soon
~Tyler

Awesome Story !!!! Get well Soon and Speed Recovery GIR !!!

Welcome to GMSB Ty, Glad to have you !!!

Funny, i have a Gurr Dawg, also pronounced Grrr. Its becaue she was female. I adopted her from somone who was getting rid of her and her name was MIA. I didn't like MIA, so while trying to decide a name, I called her Girl Dog, then it was Gurl Dawg, now she's just Gurr Dawg. :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow: And she is Harley Dawgs buddy.

xicor37

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
355 TPI
Here I am strapping the frame down to my flatbed and securing the body with straps and coat hangers. The hood is in the bed and the interior, trim, grill, etc etc is all in the bed of my nbs GMC.

It looks a lot worse than it is because the previous owner had sanded the body down to metal in preperation for paint. He never finished and now it has a nice surface rust all over it. It is really solid everywhere though. No rust holes anywhere, not even on the cab corners of fender wells.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's gonna be a nice project !!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome to the site.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Should be a really fun project...Love the stepside 4X4s.....:High 5:
Our dog is a mixture of border collie/australian sheepdog, and I think he has to be handsdown one of the smartest dogs I've ever had......

xicor37

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
355 TPI
update

Well, GIR finally passed... but not before getting a few rides in this :)

Now I need some help. I am in desperate need of a passenger side fuel filler neck and hose for a short bed stepside with fuel doors. My bed is from an 82 not the original 77.

Losing half a tank of gas on the road anytime I take off hard is not fun or cheap!

I tried to post in the wanted section but I'm not authorized or something?...

Thanks,
~Tyler

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well, GIR finally passed... but not before getting a few rides in this :)

Now I need some help. I am in desperate need of a passenger side fuel filler neck and hose for a short bed stepside with fuel doors. My bed is from an 82 not the original 77.

Losing half a tank of gas on the road anytime I take off hard is not fun or cheap!

I tried to post in the wanted section but I'm not authorized or something?...

Thanks,
~Tyler

Damn, sorry to hear about Gir Dawg !!! :sad72: That really bites !!!

Looks like you've come along way with the truck. :waytogo:

The authorizaion problem is you need 50 posts to be able to post in the classifieds. Its not only to have a participating member using the service, but we'd hope after 50 posts, other members will feel a bit safe with doing a transaction as if they sorta know the person. Granted its not full proof, but that's the idea. For a Wanted Item, I doubt its that big of a deal. Just keep in mind you're trusting another member should you be sending payment first before shipping and GMSB.com is in noway shape or form, liable for a transaction gone wrong. Meaning we don't have a buyer protection policy like ebay does. So far, I've not heard of any crooks on this forum and if we did, they'd certainly be gone instantly.

So as long as you aware GMSB.com isn't liable, go ahead and post up a wanted ad in the General Discussion section, and I'll move it to the Wanted Classifieds. I'll make exception for wanted items, but not for sale items.

xicor37

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
355 TPI
That's a good idea about the post number thing. If I was more social I'd be there already :p

Ill make a wanted post now. Thanks for helping me out.

~Tyler

xicor37

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
355 TPI

Forum statistics

Threads