"GIR's Truck" or "The Story of How I Got Here"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sumbish. Jake lives in KY. He needs a good start for a truck. He don't have much cash though. Maybe Jake and your buddy can work something out.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Well, I've been driving it a lot lately and got really tired of the 6mpg the Holley spreadbore was giving me. I've never liked carbs anyway and they don't like me. So off it came!

And on with this:
You must be registered for see images attach

damn! nice!

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Just outside of Louisville KY

Pretty sure it's going to end up a cube... :shitsweak:

oh man that sucks! i paid 1k for mine and it wasnt even and still isnt close to being as clean as yours... id of loved that thing!
sorry you had to see it go like that, a few years back, i was in a pinch and let my old 81 go for 500 bucks, had a brand new motor and clutch, so i know how you feel

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think the problem was you went about selling it the wrong way. You were willing to sell it for considerably less than your asking price, so I think if you started at maybe 2200 or so, you wouldn't have had much trouble selling it. A lower starting price is going to grab more attention and get folks interested from the beginning. A higher starting price will scare people off and it's hard to win them back after dropping the price down.

we can have our own 77 club, my 77 isn't going anywhere.

Mine's not leaving either.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think the problem was you went about selling it the wrong way. You were willing to sell it for considerably less than your asking price, so I think if you started at maybe 2200 or so, you wouldn't have had much trouble selling it. A lower starting price is going to grab more attention and get folks interested from the beginning. A higher starting price will scare people off and it's hard to win them back after dropping the price down.

Mine's not leaving either.

That makes sense. And then asking for offers, even if someone could afford or had $2000 spare cash, they're not likely to offer you $2000 which is half of the dropped price and insult you. I know I wouldn't have, I might low ball an idiot asking way to much for his ride, but yours was in good shape with good drivetrain, TPI conversion, good interior etc. It's wasn't a POS, so I would have never made a low ball offer even if that's all I had to spare. But, we live and learn. Hopefully your buddy, pull the motor without just butering up wiring harnesses and exhaust to where someone else can reasonably put a motor back in it and drive it. :High 5:

xicor37

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 reg cab, short bed, step side
Engine Size
355 TPI
Bucket,

That makes sense, on here. Still doesn't explain everywhere else I was advertising it though. Like C-list, I made entirely new ads each time I dropped the price and as I dropped it, I also spread to other cities and other websites. I really didn't post it beyond Louisville until I had it at $2.5k. Still no interest at all.

Very strange and telling of the times we're living in...

~Tyler

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know none of us can possibly be as sick as you over the deal Ty, but nonetheless, Sorry it didn't work out like you needed it to. Just if you get a chance, put a bug in your buddy's ear to take the motor out nicely and not butcher up the wiring, cooling lines etc, and he can probably get most of his money back as a roller. I do wish I had some cash. Just checked, Louisville, KY is only a 12 hour drive. But, you're welcome to stay here as a member, or come back and participate anytime your situation changes and you get another one.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
On another note, this kid at work I am getting my FREE parts from, is having problems finding a good square for his price range. If your's isn't tore apart yet, and this kid is willing to travel the 12 hours, you think you're buddy would take $1500 for it left alone? This kid has looked high and low for the $1200-$1600 range, and he gets there and they are ****. He did buy one for $700 and it was trashed bad. He should have never bought it. That happens to be the 80 GMC and why he has 2 to part out now. He paid $700 for it and never got it running cuz of major wiring issues, and the trans was bad. He got screwed. Now he needs to find one that is in good shape and he has $700 less to spend, not to menton he'd need travel money, but I just want the kid to get a good one. I feel bad for him. This is why he gave me these 2 parts trucks cuz he is so disgusted.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Bucket,

That makes sense, on here. Still doesn't explain everywhere else I was advertising it though. Like C-list, I made entirely new ads each time I dropped the price and as I dropped it, I also spread to other cities and other websites. I really didn't post it beyond Louisville until I had it at $2.5k. Still no interest at all.

Very strange and telling of the times we're living in...

~Tyler

I think it's just craigslist, I've had horrible luck trying to sell stuff that way. I've had the best luck just parking stuff in the yard with a sign in it, or letting friends know that it's for sale. It is much harder to sell stuff now, I'll give you that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, I've done well selling parts on CL, but selling running vehicles, not so much. Lots of tire kickers and low ballers.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Sumbish. Jake lives in KY. He needs a good start for a truck. He don't have much cash though. Maybe Jake and your buddy can work something out.

Sorry man im laid up right now after paying taxes and i just dumped some cash into the ole C30 so im financially embarrassed.

yeah it is sad you had to junk GIR's truck you should have kept it whether you were needing money or not. Just park it in the back 40 and drop insurance and the plates on it and used it on the farm.

but it is gone now and nothing can be done im sure it is on it's way to china to become a toaster or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef