Ford infotainment into 79 c10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This sounds really odd. But I want to put a ford +/- 2018 I infotainment/computer/screen into my 79 c10.
How hard would this be. I'm pretty good with computers. But I am not familiar at all with infotainment systems.
I really like the ones I'm ford's. Ac controls obviously wouldn't work but I would want all radio functions including xm, GPS, calling.
I figured I would ask about doing that so maybe I wouldn't have to go program my own. I know there is alternatives dornt really like em.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Doubt any of it would work. You'd need the control module(s) as well. You'd probbaly be better off askign on a Ford forum to see what parts would be needed.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Doubt any of it would work. You'd need the control module(s) as well. You'd probbaly be better off askign on a Ford forum to see what parts would be needed.
That might be what I have to do. Kinda forgot this is a gm only forum.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I don't see that working without an astronomical amount of work and cost. An aftermarket headunit with the same features in a custom built console would be a much easier route.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't see that working without an astronomical amount of work and cost. An aftermarket headunit with the same features in a custom built console would be a much easier route.
I dunno. It's just a idea. If not I'm going to just code my own.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ford (and most modern vehicles) have the radio/headunit so integrated into the BCM and other modules, it's crazy. Even if you could get it to work, there'd be a ton of hardware and wiring to hide in one of these small cabs
maybe. looking at some of the replacements the wires are obviously proprietary, although they are in pin connectors, but i'm Shure i would still have wires strung everywhere inside my dash. i forgot that they often run things through others like the BCM.
i was originally thinking i could just order all the little parts for everything and connect them up to the main ford computer, id have to splice some wires like the power ones obviously, some features like ac. etc.. wouldn't be connected.

i could just make my own custom everything. use a little PI to connect, radio, temp and other features i want to a custom os, kind of like i was originally planning on.

Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
No
Truck Model
No
Engine Size
No
i could just make my own custom everything. use a little PI to connect, radio, temp and other features i want to a custom os, kind of like i was originally planning on.
Sounds like you got it handled. Let us know how it goes!

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The FORScan pages have a ton of info available for the Ford systems.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ford (and most modern vehicles) have the radio/headunit so integrated into the BCM and other modules, it's crazy. Even if you could get it to work, there'd be a ton of hardware and wiring to hide in one of these small cabs
This ^^^^

Modern factory stereo's and especially the "infotainment" type units heavily rely on the BCM's to operate, maybe you can figure it out if you have all of the donor parts and an extensive knowledge in how they communicate. Often times the BCM will not operate without being able to communicate with the PCM, and even then the PCM needs to have the correct VIN.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This ^^^^

Modern factory stereo's and especially the "infotainment" type units heavily rely on the BCM's to operate, maybe you can figure it out if you have all of the donor parts and an extensive knowledge in how they communicate. Often times the BCM will not operate without being able to communicate with the PCM, and even then the PCM needs to have the correct VIN.
Yea. I also looked it up and new parts are really really expensive.

So like I said erlier I'm going to just make my own. Code it base it off Linux. I have a freind who is good with code I'm decent and I'm really good with hardwhere are wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man