Ford infotainment into 79 c10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Maybe I missed it, but what is the benefit over simply installing a modern android based or name brand off the shelf unit?

They do everything the infotainment system will do, but with better hardware and better screens.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Maybe I missed it, but what is the benefit over simply installing a modern android based or name brand off the shelf unit?

They do everything the infotainment system will do, but with better hardware and better screens.
I like how the ford ui is.
Making my own is something fun to do and a good use of spare pc parts.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I like how the ford ui is.
Making my own is something fun to do and a good use of spare pc parts.
Gotcha. If your buddy is good with Linux, the possibilities are endless on android based platforms. Heck, couple it with a raspberry pi / relay control and you can control just about every electrical component in the truck.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well get after it and tell us all how you do it on this thread.
I wanna see how it works now that I have invested 4.39 minutes into reading this thread.
We like lots of photos...
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
I'll let this be a update thread on it. I'll try and post 4.39 minutes of photos to look at.
Sadly stuff other than ui and app development won't be able to be done until cab is swaped. At least everything can work outside of the truck.
Gotcha. If your buddy is good with Linux, the possibilities are endless on android based platforms. Heck, couple it with a raspberry pi / relay control and you can control just about every electrical component in the truck.
I've been talking to my freind for the past hour or 2 about it. I think we're going to use a computer (I've got millions of spare computers) I do plan to control some things like lights in the cab maybe windshield whipers so I can add more the one speed to them?
I dunno. We will have some cool features is what I know. And it's going to be called Rust bukt OS .

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Blasphemy. Burn him at the stake!

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You seem to know a lot about computers, but spellcheck could be your friend??
That and punctuation are a lost art, I’m afraid. The ramifications of growing up with a smartphone are rearing their ugly head throughout society.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That and punctuation are a lost art, I’m afraid. The ramifications of growing up with a smartphone are rearing their ugly head throughout society.
Tru being disgraphic also halps;

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
Yea. I also looked it up and new parts are really really expensive.

So like I said erlier I'm going to just make my own. Code it base it off Linux. I have a freind who is good with code I'm decent and I'm really good with hardwhere are wiring.

You'll find it easier, quicker, and most likely far less costly to get one of the aftermarket 7" 2DIN size units running Android with GPS and a backup camera than rolling your own system.

Everything is in the one box, with connectors for power, speakers/amp, radio and GPS antennas. Many also can connect to the CAN bus to use the steering wheel controls but of course an old squarebody doesn't have that. ;) These don't need a connected smartphone for anything.

Simpler and cheaper are headunits that have Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay. On their own they have limited functions. Connect a smartphone and they use the phone for GPS and many other functions.

Even more simple and lower cost are headunits that do MirrorLink. How cheap? I've seen them around $50 on Temu. Essentially they just mirror the phone screen to their display and have connections for speakers, might have an FM tuner, perhaps a backup camera or other things. They rely fully on the capabilities of the connected smartphone.

Of course there are tradeoffs with these three. The "all up" Android models don't need a phone, but if/when the Android version installed gets past its prime and apps/services start abandoning support, it becomes a paperweight, like anything running Android versions before 5, or iPhones without 5G.

The simple MirrorLink models should be good forever, as long as the smartphones support whatever method is used to connect to them. Change your phone and your vehicle's infotainment also gets the upgrade.

Downside of CarPlay, Android Auto, and MirrorLink is the phone has to be in the vehicle and I assume getting a call or doing anything with the phone interrupts using it with the in-dash display.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS