Boat Motor In My Studebaker.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
So as some of you my know, I just happen to own this really solid non running 1951 Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe.
You must be registered for see images attach

I originally bought it with the aspirations of getting it on the road while keeping it original.

Unfortunately parts are very expensive and damn near impossible to find, so I 've been considering swapping in a more modern running gear

I'm not looking to blow the tires off this thing, I want to turn it into a daily driver. At first I was thinking of a chevy 4.3 v6. They're cheap, and I wouldn't need to cut out the firewall to fit it. Then a buddy of mine told me about this low hour Mercruiser 2.5 I4 he has laying around.

It's basically a chevy inline 6 with 2 cylinders cut off, and it'll fit perfectly in the engine bay.
(This is not an Iron Duke, The Iron Duke is a completely different engine).

Anyways, this engine will mate to the th350 I already have laying around, and I he's willing to just give it to me.

My only issue is this boat style intake/exhaust manifold.

They did put these 153's in some Pontiac's so a car style manifold exists, but they seem to be extremely rare.

I'm sure I could technically use this boat manifold by routing the exhaust weirdly, and plugging off all the water passages.

What I'm worried about is heat though, as it seems to me that since they are both one casting, heat control would be an issue (Maybe I could find a way to loop the cooling system into it and have a water cooled intake?)

What do you guys think? I'm trying to do this operation as low buck as possible

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I like it. Have you checked over at stovebolt or inliners or hamb to see if one of those old boys may have something laying around they'd be willing to get rid of? Someone here may have something laying around, but it wouldn't hurt to broaden your search.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24