For people with headers exhaust q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
For people with long tube headers what are y'all doing for exhaust. I'm thinking of doing dual exhaust. Any suggestions? I need to get my exhaust game on soon for the headers I've added to my truck.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm running long tubes, duals, no cats, 40 series flowmasters, stainless tips

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All my trucks have headers with duals and no cats. Various mufflers and pipe sizes.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
I've got to get my exhaust game on soon cause straight headers is way too loud on it lol I just can't decide whether I want to pay someone or buy a kit from summit or ebay

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a local shop bend them up for me. Duals all the way out the back, H-pipe, Flowmaster 40s.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
What size pipe do you need? Summit sells a kit from Hooker Headers with mandrel bent 2.25" tubes without mufflers for about $175. Then add your favorite muffler and put it together. Thats what I plan to do on my 85 when I get some money to do it.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What size pipe do you need? Summit sells a kit from Hooker Headers with mandrel bent 2.25" tubes without mufflers for about $175. Then add your favorite muffler and put it together. Thats what I plan to do on my 85 when I get some money to do it.

I saw the same kit, too. However, it specifies they will only work with hooker headers. Not certain how true that statement is, though.

For my truck, I bought Flowtech longtube headers, Purple Hornies glass-packs, and Flowtech exhaust kit (which doesn't quite fit right). I was only able to use the header pipes from the kit because the pipe angles are weird. If I can get a shop to bend some pipe for me, that'd be great.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I saw the same kit, too. However, it specifies they will only work with hooker headers. Not certain how true that statement is, though.

For my truck, I bought Flowtech longtube headers, Purple Hornies glass-packs, and Flowtech exhaust kit (which doesn't quite fit right). I was only able to use the header pipes from the kit because the pipe angles are weird. If I can get a shop to bend some pipe for me, that'd be great.

Guess I missed the part about working with Hooker headers only but you should be able to adapt them to just about anything if you can cut and weld exhaust pipe

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For a 350, 2.25" duals is plenty. The H-pipe, which I strongly recommend, only needs to be 2". An X-pipe works, too, but is hard to do on a K truck. For a C truck, it's easy.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can use the Hooker exhaust kit with any headers, it's just a direct bolt-on deal with their headers too.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, after looking at the Hooker exhaust kit, it looks just like the Flowtech I bought. The issue I ran into was the piping on the driver side. The passenger side is parallel with the frame, the driver side is not. No matter how I installed the driver side, it would only install angled off toward the outside.

Can anyone here who has installed these kits shed some light on this? Would be nice to install the entire kit. Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I dunno, never installed the Flowtec kit. But the Hooker and Dynomax kits both fit reasonably well. I prefer the Hooker kit due to it's mandrel bends. Lifespan of either kit is about the same.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I dunno, never installed the Flowtec kit. But the Hooker and Dynomax kits both fit reasonably well. I prefer the Hooker kit due to it's mandrel bends. Lifespan of either kit is about the same.

I may have to get the hooker kit; plus new reducers. The ones I bought are Jegs brand and are rusted horribly. I might get a pair of turbo muffs to replace the glasspacks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486