For anyone thinking of swapping to TBI.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Depends where you live and what you drive... out here the fuzz usually drive crown vics..
They can't and won't go places I would... lol

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
i have a handful of tbi trucks headers dual 2.5'' pipe no cats flowmaster 40 series hard to flow better than that.

and i have never seen a egr code

and here in WYO a cat off a square is worth 50 bucks at the steel yard so i have no cats on any of my squares

WYOMING has no emmisions and no vehicle inspection of any kind

yeah, but you may have a regular EGR valve, and not a Back pressure EGR....then high flow does not matter.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
yeah the whirlie birds do put a damper on a lot of fun out here real quick... the sheriffs in Bakersfield have a really nice chevy 4x4 but the PD only have 2x4's but a few of them are SUV's so they could possibly follow depending on the driver... nothing out here really super tough but there are some pretty steep hill sides that could stop them... but like ya said by time you get there they get the whirlie bird up and then it's good luck...lol

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
That's why you lose the ground units and head for the nearest Federal air space...

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
That's why you lose the ground units and head for the nearest Federal air space...

DING DING DING, we have a winner, bird in the air can NOT pursue in federal air space.

Jim it seems to me that If your running a backpressure egr valve then you could lower the pipe size to increase the back pressure.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
How do you tell the difference in the EGR valve?... my exhaust is a y-pipe to single with a cat... should I keep it that way to avoid issues?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Nearest fed airspace, if its the type I think you are talking about is very hard to find out here, is Vandenberg AFB on the coast then Area 51 in Nevada. And if you drive into such space, which is usually fenced, you now have to worry about a slightly more armed whirlybird, and or white f-250's persuing you.
The only Danger in Bakersfield is running into a floating Beam Oil pump rig if your blacked out running from the CHiP's!
Pops, yes, that would be an option, and would probably work great.
My EGR woes went away, I replaced the valve with a non BP valve, and found that the old one had a stuck internal valve....the one that closes under exhaust pressure, thus closing the vacuum side.
Farkin truck is runnin like a top now!

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Nearest fed airspace, if its the type I think you are talking about is very hard to find out here, is Vandenberg AFB on the coast then Area 51 in Nevada. And if you drive into such space, which is usually fenced, you now have to worry about a slightly more armed whirlybird, and or white f-250's persuing you.
The only Danger in Bakersfield is running into a floating Beam Oil pump rig if your blacked out running from the CHiP's!
Pops, yes, that would be an option, and would probably work great.
My EGR woes went away, I replaced the valve with a non BP valve, and found that the old one had a stuck internal valve....the one that closes under exhaust pressure, thus closing the vacuum side.
Farkin truck is runnin like a top now!

you opted for the cheaper route then,:patriot:

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Glad you sorted it.. I was gonna recommend maybe installing motorcycle baffles, but your solution is better.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Jim sounds like you know this town pretty well... lol you ever lived down here...lol maybe when the time is right I could talk you into a trip a little south to give me a hand with this wiring... lmao gonna drop another chunk of $$$ off toward the 84 today... another step closer to calling it mine... lol

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have been through there a couple of times.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Talked with the gentleman from whom I'm buying the 84 K5 from this evening... and I'll be getting it in Two weeks to my property to start working on it... so looks like I'm gonna be starting that build thread sooner than I thought... lol and I'll put in some pics... getting excited about this... a lot of fun and a little grease... lol but that also means I have to say goodbye to the burb shortly after... I'll miss it but it's heart will live on...lol anyone interested in the burb for parts hit me up and we can talk

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
How do you tell the difference in the EGR valve?... my exhaust is a y-pipe to single with a cat... should I keep it that way to avoid issues?

On your emissions sticker, it will say EGR or BPEGR. BPEGR wont hold vacuum until exhaust pressure closes and internal valve. EGR will open with vacuum oly.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Oh OK... lol wonder which one I have then... Cali sucks for all it's smog regulations it has... talked to the smog shop I go to and found out once I switch the engine over with the tbi I have to let a referee inspect it before I can smog it... yeah sounds like fun... lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay