For anyone thinking of swapping to TBI.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Or may be thinking of installing true dual exhaust on a TBI truck.

This post is intended for anyone in my situation, where they have to pass emissions tests, and have swapped in a GM TBI system.
Since I have decided to stay with TBI, i have been chasing down a problem with the EGR system, throwing code 32.
Today I found the problem.
I am still running the dual cat exhaust, with magnaflow mufflers inline, and dual 2" tailpipes(like what came on the 86 trucks from the factory)
This exhaust configuration is entirely too free flowing for the TBI EGR system to work properly, as this particular EGR system is disigned to operate with the help of back pressure from the original single cat ehaust system, found on un-molested 87-95 GM light Trucks.
I have cured the problem by stuffing one of the tailpipes with tightly rolled shop rags....no code 32.
I have confirmed this by removing the rags, and then driving at 55 mph, and code 32 comes back up, when pressing on the accellerator to maintain speed.
I also noticed a tiny bit more of low end grunt with the tailpipe plugged up.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
:rotflmao:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Yeah I know

Hell I have an EGR valve glued to my intake to make it look legit :rotflmao:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
gettin the chip flashed would remove the code. LOL.

I got an 88 tbi truck and mines very free flowing, no egr on it, it's got a block off plate. shorty headers, no cats 2-1/4 pipes all the way back to chambered mufflers, and no tailpipes.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok kiddo's
you forget, Im in california, and its not as simple as flashing the EGR out. They check everything for proper operation...on a dyno.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Ok kiddo's
you forget, Im in california, and its not as simple as flashing the EGR out. They check everything for proper operation...on a dyno.
*Commiefornia is what we call it over here.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
*Commiefornia is what we call it over here.

I keep tellin you guys! you cant call them communists! there would be better border security if that was what they are...i just call them tree huggers.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
lol you serious? I had no idea they went that in depth.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
lol you serious? I had no idea they went that in depth.

Yup, if it was as simple as just programming the code out, that would have been done long ago with the tpi. the last inspection, the guy was hooking up vac gauges to the cannister purge solenoid, and diconnected the egr solenoid to make sure it threw a code.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
When they do inspections do they check for garage materials plugging up pipes??? :lol:

I don't see how stuffing rags in your pipes to get the code to go away is any different than flashing the chip to get the code to go away?? :shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't get it. I have an '88 TBI Burb. I put on true duals (w/headers too) and I gained low end grunt. Also it only throws an EGR code about once or twice a year, it actually would throw the code much more often with the stock exhaust and manifolds.

It's backwards. Your motor should be here in non-emissions Ohio, and my motor should be out there in Cali.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I don't see how stuffing rags in your pipes to get the code to go away is any different than flashing the chip to get the code to go away?? :shrug:

Because they disconnect the EGR to make sure the code comes up. With flashing the chip, no code would come up and they would fail him.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
When they do inspections do they check for garage materials plugging up pipes??? :lol:
Yes they do! I have to run a singl cat, so that will be changed before next inspection.
I just did it to see if it would make the code dissapear. I am half Bubba, so the shop rags were a natural choice for this diagnostic proceedure.
I don't get it. I have an '88 TBI Burb. I put on true duals (w/headers too) and I gained low end grunt. Also it only throws an EGR code about once or twice a year, it actually would throw the code much more often with the stock exhaust and manifolds.

It's backwards. Your motor should be here in non-emissions Ohio, and my motor should be out there in Cali.
I dont have headers, i have stock 86 exhaust logs....like a cummins manifold, minus 2 ports. headers are a big improvement, especially if they are small tube primaries.

Because they disconnect the EGR to make sure the code comes up. With flashing the chip, no code would come up and they would fail him.
We have a winner!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zippo854