Finally, something without a computer under the hood.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrghostwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/20
Engine Size
Computers are one of the reasons I got my 83 K10/20. It drives me crazy how modern cars and trucks have gotten complicated for no good reason! I don't need four different ways to change the volume on my radio! If I want to make it louder I'll reach over and turn the knob- I don't need buttons on the steering wheel AND a touch screen on the dash AND voice control!
Electronic/ digital is not always better. More things that can go wrong that I can't fix.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Computers are one of the reasons I got my 83 K10/20. It drives me crazy how modern cars and trucks have gotten complicated for no good reason! I don't need four different ways to change the volume on my radio! If I want to make it louder I'll reach over and turn the knob- I don't need buttons on the steering wheel AND a touch screen on the dash AND voice control!
Electronic/ digital is not always better. More things that can go wrong that I can't fix.

I don't know if you are familiar, but there is a channel on YouTube "Uncle Tony's Garage" that talks about this all the time. There is a growing desire for the simple vehicles of the 60's, 70's and 80's that are modern enough to be usable and old enough to still be fixable by the home or hobby mechanic. You would think that it would be us in the middle aged and older crowd. But in fact, many of the younger generations are a growing part of this interest.

With that said, I currently have 8 vehicles in my fleet ranging from 1979 up to 2021. My three newest, a 2015, 2018, and 2021 have all of the modern features, touch screen controls, etc. If they sit more than a couple of weeks, you better believe that you are going to have battery drain. My '79 C10 can sit in the garage for 6 months plus. You get in, pump the throttle twice, and it fires right off.

Now with all of that said, I do appreciate the remote start, heated seats, and climate control on the cold winter mornings.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome from Houston!

No computer, but an HEI module that if it fails will strand you, and old school electronics for the delay wipers ( if you have them ) that if they clap out apparently are hard to come by but can be fixed.

Minor issues/worries.

I never had a HEI failure back in the day but heard of them.

Experienced it personally now twice with Goldie- the OE unit died, and then the Borg Warner replacement.

AC Delco in there now, and one in the glove box.

Plus side is parts are still available and pretty cheap.

Picked up a floor mounted dimmer switch the other night from the local parts store at 9:30 PM - in stock.

Makes it easier to keep em going.

Congrats, and enjoy!
:waytogo:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Idk there is one thing my car can do that is too cool to live without. Using the steering wheel volume control the knob turns physically. Pretty wizzard man
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
this guy shows it best

You must be registered for see images attach

I AM CORNHOLIO

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What year is that truck please? It's super cool too

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don't know if you are familiar, but there is a channel on YouTube "Uncle Tony's Garage" that talks about this all the time. There is a growing desire for the simple vehicles of the 60's, 70's and 80's that are modern enough to be usable and old enough to still be fixable by the home or hobby mechanic. You would think that it would be us in the middle aged and older crowd. But in fact, many of the younger generations are a growing part of this interest.

With that said, I currently have 8 vehicles in my fleet ranging from 1979 up to 2021. My three newest, a 2015, 2018, and 2021 have all of the modern features, touch screen controls, etc. If they sit more than a couple of weeks, you better believe that you are going to have battery drain. My '79 C10 can sit in the garage for 6 months plus. You get in, pump the throttle twice, and it fires right off.

Now with all of that said, I do appreciate the remote start, heated seats, and climate control on the cold winter mornings.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Edit; Opps, Welcome to the site, great folks and info, have fun!
Computers? yeah, I hear ya, remember the days...I'm from Detroit area...
Hiya, wadda ya' doin'? uhm, got pizza?

(Escuzie' Taylor, it would be either; really cold by the time it got there from the high desert...or I ate it on the way lol, I can make a good one.)

Last edited:

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Was driving home, in the dark, a few weeks ago and my eyes fell onto something sitting alongside a barbed wire fence. A square body Chevy with a for sale sign stuck in the windshield. Went back and looked it over, isn't pretty but has a lot of potential. Got hold of the owner and went to see it in the daylight. Fired up the 250 and I was sold on it. Guy said he rescued the truck from a farmer's field, told me it has some rust but he was willing to throw in a better cab, another hood and would deliver them all for free. What a deal. As to the title, I'm tired of walking into a parts store to pay good money for little computer modules that likely cost $5 to make.
I can't stand computerized vehicles either!

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Yes! Computers are what ultimately drove me to sell my favorite squarebody several years ago... Arggh...
Hope you were able to replace it with an older Squarebody.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Me either! I much prefer vehiclized computers. This is the most reliable vehiclized computer I’ve ever owned.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisd9997