Factory Tach...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I was browsing CL and stumbled upon a guy selling SB parts. He has a early 80's factory tach cluster that he is selling. He claims it's in great shape and works great. I plan on checking it out tomorrow after work.

I know it's hard to say without pictures or seeing it, but how much would you guys be willing to pay for something like this? Of course assuming it is actually in really good running condition? I see stuff on ebay for $200+, which is right about how much this guy is asking for his.

Curious as to what you guys think.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Usually I see them for $125-$250 depending on condition. There is an alternative, check out my thread "82 Daily Driver" in the under construction forum. I put a repoped tach in my non tach cluster for $210 shipped and its brand new, looks totally OEM and super easy to install.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The circuitry of the factory tach setup is pretty dated technology, so dont expect it to work great forever. One factory tach repair shop I checked out wanted $200 to replace the factory board with their digital one (wouldnt even consider repairing the existing one) so you could end up having more tied up in it than you expected. Dont be afraid to wheel & deal, start around $125 and just lightly mention the tach is not known for long-life service, and repair/upgrading is very expensive. Only budge a few dollars, no way would I give his full asking price or anything near it. But personally $100 would be the most I'd go. Be sure to check all the screw posts for super glue and if anything's fishy cut the price severely. $50-$75 if the lense is scratched, broken posts, corroded printed circuit. Be wary if it looks "too new". Chinese reproductions are flimsy and break very easily. I feel like telling you you might be better off building a custom cluster with autometer parts lol but just use your best judgement. It would be a good thing for a full resto but if your truck is modded I wouldn't fall too far in lust with factory tach.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the insight guys. I will check out your thread jknight.

You bring up some good points that I have lost sight of c4. It is old tech, and expensive to fix. I plan on keeping the truck forever so that is something to factor in. And I have thought about doing my own custom cluster, but kind of ruled it out as I want to keep it mostly stock, or at least not deviate from stock to far.

So this was my original plan, and I will probably stick to it now. I have a blank spot in my cluster and also a clock that does not work. Dakota Digital offers a mini 2 1/8 tach, and also a mini rectangular tach that would be a close match to where the clock goes. While they are a bit pricey, I think they would blend in pretty nice with the whole stock theme, and you probably wouldn't notice it unless I told you about it.

What do you think about that plan? Once again, thanks for your thoughts guys, it's nice to hear others peoples opinions.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I would just leave them blank, and fix/add the clock/tach when money permits. If you're considering putting the aftermarket things in the cluster you currently have, I would reconsider, especially if your current cluster is uncut. I choped mine up for some mechanical sunpro's and now it is a useless pile of trash. I much would have rather took the cluster out and put in a sheetmetal panel behind the bezel and put the aftermarket stuff in and not chopped up my original cluster. Hind sight is always 20/20.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I should probably explain a couple of things. Way back when, my dad installed a digital clock into the dash, because that was the thing to do back then. The clock quit at one point and he left it in because he didn't want to have just a hole in the dash, and he couldn't justify the price of a new dash. Here is the only pic I have of the dash that shows it....

You must be registered for see images attach

It's hiding behind the turn signal lever. That is my first choice of placement for a DD tach. The next place would be the empty spot in the cluster on the left. As C4 pointed out, cutting a virgin perfect(?) condition cluster is not something I am high on. The next option would be to get this other cluster and another bezel if necessary.

And I did get something else cleared up with this guy. He also has a serpentine system I am looking at for my 85 MC SS. When I asked about price he said $180-200. This price was for BOTH the serp. system and the cluster. So you could say the cluster is only $100.

I guess really I just can't make up my mind on what I would like to do!! Right now I am leaning towards replacing the busted clock, but close behind it is getting this factory tach cluster. I will just look at the tach cluster and go from there. If it looks good and is the right price and I don't have to change out my dash, maybe I will just run that for now. If the tach goes bad I can just swap my original cluster back in and go the other route.

Wow, I wrote a lot...... thanks for hangin' around!

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Later tachs are much better than earlier tachs...All of mine have worked fine as well as the one in my truck now.

There is also the Camaro tach mod...But you lose warning lights that way...

Or the tach/gas gauge that jknight has which is pretty sweet but pricey.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think I would go the Dakota Digital mini tach before the tach/gas gauge route that JKnight went. Just my personal preference however....

Good to know they do actually for a while!

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I think I would go the Dakota Digital mini tach before the tach/gas gauge route that JKnight went. Just my personal preference however....

Good to know they do actually for a while!
After seeing a pic of your gauges with the older font it wouldnt look right because of the newer font on the tach like I have and I dont know if they offer the old font.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like the digital clock was designed specifically for the square body style trucks? If so, that's neat and I would leave it... just look into having it repaired. Then add in the tach that JKnight has. There would be no more dash cutting and everything would look period correct.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
After seeing a pic of your gauges with the older font it wouldnt look right because of the newer font on the tach like I have and I dont know if they offer the old font.

That's true. However it would still match better than the Dakota gauge. Hopefully they will eventually make the older style too.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
JKnight were did you get yours? Do you have a link? I don't remember seeing anything in your thread.

Bucket, I don't know if that clock was designed for SB's or not. I had to ask my dad if it was factory or not because it has always been there for as long as I can remember, and I don't remember it ever working either! Right now I am actually hoping this tach cluster I am going to look at works out. Either way I do need to get that clock working.

I really should start a build thread on this when I actually get it home and can work on it.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks! Just found it in your thread too.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Tach

WOW...that is way too awesome! I have been trying to figure out what to do for a tach and you have solved my issue. I very much like how it looks. Do you have a pic of it installed so I can see the whole cluster together? How difficult was it to set up and install? What do you need to make the tach function as our stock setups didnt have that option so I assume nothing is there to hook into???

Thanks a bunch!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshinIT