Factory Seats; Why do they suck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buicknut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Not all of the K5s had crappy front seats. Some of the early ones weren't that bad from what I could tell.
Is there a better factory seat you can use without going with LMCs?

Attachments

• 89jimmy24 (8).jpg
    89jimmy24 (8).jpg
    157 KB · Views: 66

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just about every GM car of the 80's with bucket seats, as well as a large amount from the 90's has seats that literally bolt right in place of your seats with zero modification.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Because they have to fit everyone.

One of the seat engineers complained to me one time: "imagine taking a pair of jeans and having everyone in the room try them on, and then tell you what they think".

K

Last edited:

Buicknut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Just about every GM car of the 80's with bucket seats, as well as a large amount from the 90's has seats that literally bolt right in place of your seats with zero modification.
So that being said Does anyone know of a good seat that you are using?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
the seats in my 90 burb look a little different (bigger) than the blazer seats and they are OK for me. but they don't fold forward for passengers to get in like you need on a blazer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

It all depends on what you like. Personally, I think your seats are very comfy. A "good" seat to one person may be a terrible seat for someone else. It may be worthwhile to visit a few junkyards and do some ass testing.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In regards to the title of this thread.... because they are 40+ years old at this point. Would you drive on 40 year old tires? Science moves forward. A lot more is known about ergonomics these days. For most of us, the old seats are still ok for short to moderate trips. But we have got used to newer, modern seats that make the experience more enjoyable. You can have both but it requires a decision and a bit of work. Carry on.

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

SOLSAKS

Reaction score
First Name
david
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 BLAZER
Engine Size
i have had issues with OEM seats,.....the original buckets in a 78 blazer look good,...but in my opinion sit awful,....
if you have ever looked at a side view of them and see how your legs, back etc. are angled,...you can see why they are not so great,....

i got tired of this and installed the buckets from a early 90s blazer,....
theY are a lot better, but if you cant find mint seats, having them covered,...due to the way they are designed, has never looked good to me,...
because it seems they were originally made by forming the material to the bun, without much sewing,.....

then my dog got older and needed a bench seat,....
i put in a 1994 work truck bench seat,.....now i have a bench from a 1994 silverado,...much better design,...with padding, shape etc...

want to get that in soon,....i have seen more modern GM truck seats installed too and i am sure thay are a lot better than 1994 seats,.....
but the 70s and 80s seats were made with no attention to ergonomics,....but i still love the square bodies....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD