Exterior Lighting Upgrades - Looking for Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I am starting to put some thought into upgrading the exterior lights on my burb, now that it seems to be mechanically sound and running well (for the time being). The old, fatigued, and faded lenses just aren't cutting the cake anymore.

I am considering going with a set of HIDs for the headlights, and LEDs for the front turn signals, side markers, roof markers, and tail lights. I am looking for something clean, crisp, simple, fits in factory locations, and most importantly BRIGHT. I use this truck for towing my toys to and from the trail, so I want to be able to see people on the road (and in the woods), and I want them to be able to see me as well.

I have read that LED conversions for turn signals/tail lights/brake lights require additional components, and it is not as straight forward as replacing the bulbs. How about the HIDs for the headlights? Can I just swap out the OEM bulbs for HIDs?

What have you guys done for exterior light upgrades? I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered a hundred times. Upon a quick search, I didn't see what I was looking for. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do not do HIDs. These trucks were not meant for them and should be used with them. If you enjoy being an ass on the road and blinding people everywhere.. then be my guest.

Toss some H4 bulbs in the truck and upgrade the wiring and call it a day.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Take my advice. Replace all the headlight bulbs with new ones, and add relays to the headlight harness. You will be shocked at how bright new shiny and reflective bulbs powered by relayed power are. I did this earlier this year and I still can't get over how nice and bright they are at night. 10 - 20 year old headlight bulbs reflective chrome in the housing seem to fade away and fog the lens up. The headlight relay mod is a must. And if you want to spend some extra upgrade the headlight harness to beefier wiring. Factory headlight wiring on these trucks is thin. Trust me you won't be disappointed.

I went to LED in all exterior marker lights, dash and interior lighting. I have yet to focus stop and turn bulbs, at some point I plan on it. New tail/turn and marker lenses also make a big difference in crisp and brightness.

Last edited:

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Do not do HIDs. These trucks were not meant for them and should be used with them. If you enjoy being an ass on the road and blinding people everywhere.. then be my guest.

Toss some H4 bulbs in the truck and upgrade the wiring and call it a day.

1st of all, Im not trying to be an ass. I am looking for something that is going to provide me with the best visibility in good or bad driving conditions. I know HIDs are bright, which is kind of the point. I don't drive this truck everyday, so when I get in it and go, it needs to do what I need it to do. That being said, I am looking for other options that will work well. Can you be more specific about upgrading the wiring? Is there a write up on this modification?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
1st of all, Im not trying to be an ass. I am looking for something that is going to provide me with the best visibility in good or bad driving conditions. I know HIDs are bright, which is kind of the point. I don't drive this truck everyday, so when I get in it and go, it needs to do what I need it to do. That being said, I am looking for other options that will work well. Can you be more specific about upgrading the wiring? Is there a write up on this modification?

Are HIDs bright? Yes. But HIDs are obnoxious and annoying if not setup properly which is essentially in ANY vehicle that did not come with them from the factory. A properly setup H4 system will be plenty more bright than a sealed halogen.

Upgrade the wiring is referring to the ground system of the vehicle and if you want to get really crazy upgrade the harness for the headlights to use relays. Kits are available.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hey bud go H.I.D. forget what he said... prob had a bad day lol just make sure you aim them correctly. Others have wired the existing headlights to relays and have good results. It won't be bright as 5k or 6k H.I.D.s but it'll be better then factory. One guy has some bad ass looking led that fit in factory location that look good as well :) cheers!

Sent from the dust in front of you!

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Take my advice. Replace all the headlight bulbs with new ones, and add relays to the headlight harness. You will be shocked at how bright new shiny and reflective bulbs powered by relayed power are. I did this earlier this year and I still can't get over how nice and bright they are at night. 10 - 20 year old headlight bulbs reflective chrome in the housing seem to fade away and fog the lens up. The headlight relay mod is a must. And if you want to spend some extra upgrade the headlight harness to beefier wiring. Factory headlight wiring on these trucks is thin. Trust me you won't be disappointed.

I went to LED in all exterior marker lights, dash and interior lighting. I have yet to focus stop and turn bulbs, at some point I plan on it. New tail/turn and marker lenses also make a big difference in crisp and brightness.

Can you give me some more detail on the headlight relay mod? Part number for relay? Where it goes? Etc. Also, is there an upgraded headlight wiring harness kit out there, or is it a matter of buying heavier gauge wire and re-wiring it?

For your LED upgrades, did you have to install any additional components? Specifically for the tail lights. I have read that you have to install a relay. Is that the case? Any write ups, or additional description for this upgrade?

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just upgraded my wiring and installed the H4 lights on my 86 with quad head lights. I am running the Hella 80/100w clear bulbs in mine. Best upgrade i have done to the truck. I highly recommend it.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
This looks like some really good information here! This is why I like this forum...ask a reasonable question, and somebody is willing to point you in the right direction. Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate all commentary (including differing points of view). I will dig through this stuff over the next couple days, and maybe go ahead and order some parts. In the meantime, if you all think of anything additional that I should consider, post it up, and I'll look through it. When it's all said and done, i'll post up exactly what I do, how I do it, and what it looks like.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Off the top of my head I can not remember what the wattage ratings are, but there are 2 wattage upgrades in the H4 bulbs, each being progressively higher priced.

With the lowest STOCK bulbs and the relay kit with a thorough cleaning and upgrading of your existing wiring(alternator, fuse block and grounds), the stock bulbs are surprisingly bright. If doing the afore mentioned and upgrading to the highest watt bulb, I think you will find that they are plenty bright!

The point is that no upgraded bulb of any kind is going to perform with out upgrading your stock wiring. A 60-65 amp alternator and stock wiring that is usually pretty rough in spots is not gonna do justice to your stock bulbs or be capable of powering upgraded components.

By all means upgrade to what ever bulb you want but start with the foundation of your lighting system which is your alternator and wiring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy