Order of upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
G'mornin y'all!

So, sometime last year (or year before? lol) I picked up a '97 880 engine, with the intention of doing a bit of top end work to it (heads, cam, intake, etc...), and slapping it in my 83 K20. Pretty decent deal, 200 bones for a just about complete engine. Pulled the heads, and was surprised at how good the heads looked. Decided to go a different route. I tested the heads for cracking (good to go), installed screw in studs, beehives, seals and roller tip rockers, with the intention of replacing the smog heads on my K20. Also picked up a vortec intake. Figured, while I'm in there, I might as well pop in mild RV cam too.

Here comes the question. Should I do everything all at once? IE heads, intake, cam. Or should I just put the heads/intake on, make sure she runs / starts nice with no overheating, and then go back in later to put the cam in?

I know it seems like a lot of extra work, but I'm worried about wiping the cam if I have problems getting her fired back up, as I'm not sure how much tuning I'll have to do on my Qjet with the new heads (if any?). She fires right off now and runs well. (I know, I know... if it ain't broke...lol)

Oh, and I'll be turning the 880 block into a 383 that I'll be putting together with my two boys for a future project car. Don't have the car yet, but it'll be good times putting the motor together. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I would do everything at once. More efficient on time that way. Mark the distributor,crank pulley and rotor position,so not a bunch of jacking around trying to get it to start. Any tuning necessary on the Qjet can be done after cam break in,you're not trying to make it idle nice,Rev clean,etc right now just run with enough rpms. Make sure your springs are not ANY stiffer than necessary for the cam you're running,make sure all the lifters can spin in their bores,I'd use break in springs,but I'm paranoid. Last but not least,do not injest the cam lube,not sure why they have that warning I guess some people have tried.

Last edited:

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Wait. People had done WHAT with the cam lube? lol

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
I would do everything at once. More efficient on time that way. Mark the distributor,crank pulley and rotor position,so not a bunch of jacking around trying to get it to start. Any tuning necessary on the Qjet can be done after cam break in,you're not trying to make it idle nice,Rev clean,etc right now just run with enough rpms. Make sure your springs are not ANY stiffer than necessary for the cam you're running,make sure all the lifters can spin in their bores,I'd use break in springs,but I'm paranoid. Last but not least,do not invest the cam lube,not sure why they have that warning I guess some people have tried.
Regarding the cam springs, I only have the beehives. Buddy needed some stock vortec springs, so I gave him the ones out of the vortec heads. Seat pressure is about 90#, if that helps. :/

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Good reading about spring pressures and cam breakin for everyone. @Old60Driver spell check got me, yes I've gotten cam lube that said not to injest it,IDK cam lube and crackers, personal lubricant IDK, but they thought they needed a warning.

Last edited:

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Goid reading about spring pressures and cam breakin for everyone. @Old60Driver spell check got me, yes I've gotten cam lube that said not to injest it,IDK cam lube and crackers, personal lubricant IDK, but they thought they needed a warning.
HA!! I've always thought we should remove those warning labels. Things'll get sorted one way or another. ;)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Phone locked up trying to link spring/breakin info. I'm going to try again right now, keep checking this post I'll get it here eventually.

Last edited:

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
The 880 is a roller cam block. Wiping cams was more of a flat tappet thing. Agree with get her all done at once.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The 880 is a roller cam block. Wiping cams was more of a flat tappet thing. Agree with get her all done at once.
He's not using the 880 block,just the heads. The 880 block is going to be a 383 at a later date. But yea lots of work doubled up by doing it in stages.

Last edited:

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Phone locked up trying to link spring/breakin info. I'm going to try again right now, keep checking this post I'll get it here eventually.
Good info! Thanks for the share!!

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Roger that y'all. Looks like I'll be going all in at once! lol

Another quick question for y'all. I made a post the other day asking about ported or manifold vac for the dizzy. I've always run it ported from the qjet (driver side, low), but noticed the other day that even at 600 rpm, I'm still getting vac there. Enough to turn my timing at idle from 10° to about 24° at idle. Engine seems to like it, so I'm not really super concerned. Should I leave the vac off during break in so it breaks in at exactly 10° or connect the vac, and let the timing advance? Like I said, I'm just going in with a mildish RV cam, nothing crazy.
Thanks again for y'alls advice!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Roger that y'all. Looks like I'll be going all in at once! lol

Another quick question for y'all. I made a post the other day asking about ported or manifold vac for the dizzy. I've always run it ported from the qjet (driver side, low), but noticed the other day that even at 600 rpm, I'm still getting vac there. Enough to turn my timing at idle from 10° to about 24° at idle. Engine seems to like it, so I'm not really super concerned. Should I leave the vac off during break in so it breaks in at exactly 10° or connect the vac, and let the timing advance? Like I said, I'm just going in with a mildish RV cam, nothing crazy.
Thanks again for y'alls advice!
Leave it connected,sounds like your on a manifold vacuum source,which is actually the preferred source in most cases.Ported vacuum retards the timing at idle,the later burn cleans up tailpipe emissions at idle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad