Engine Test Stand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Yep, it had one on it at the time but that fan I used now resides in Adrian TX. Was the only time that fan was ever used!!! :happy160:
Yep, it had one on it at the time but that fan I used now resides in Adrian TX. Was the only time that fan was ever used!!! :happy160:

Get where you need it, we will get it back down there. Ain't doing anything here yet.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
@Bennyt

I guess I have been lucky. Do flywheels typically grenade? Same for flex plates, and dampeners? I was going to break in my 292 on a stand, but if things will fly apart, I will break it in installed in the truck.
I think you'll be okay. Sounds like he's got some bad luck, or gremlins runnin around. I've personally never had any of this stuff happen, don't think anyone I know has either, even at the shop, we did a lot of rebuilds.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I think you'll be okay. Sounds like he's got some bad luck, or gremlins runnin around. I've personally never had any of this stuff happen, don't think anyone I know has either, even at the shop, we did a lot of rebuilds.

That's good to hear

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Bennyt

I guess I have been lucky. Do flywheels typically grenade? Same for flex plates, and dampeners? I was going to break in my 292 on a stand, but if things will fly apart, I will break it in installed in the truck.

As others have said, doubtful you'll have problems on a 292 being broken in and a test stand is just for that reason. To test before install.

My comment was more about being gun-shy because of my experiences around race engines coming apart under extreme load and high RPM's and missed shifts/ wheelspin at the track. The newer dyno's only load for a few seconds and minimize parts breakage. The dyno's we had when I was a kid, you'd have to put a load on a motor for a few minutes and it was rough on a motor and of course parts have gotten much better.

That being said, whether it's on a stand, or in a truck, stock or not, I still don't stand on the side, inline with the front drive set-up(pulleys, radiator fan, dampener, etc) when being revved.

My friend Tom at NRE, had a busted water tank from a dampener coming apart, hanging in his dyno cell for years, to remind him to be careful and stay out of the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad