Electric Fan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asamra09

Reaction score
First Name
Avraj
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was interested in converted from a clutch fan to electric fans. My truck is a 86 with a factory 305. I know LMC makes two types of kits for this, one is a basic single fan design while the other is a dual fan design. I was mainly wondering if the lmc kits are good or if its better to source out your own parts. Im new to electric fans so im not sure what brand fans or radiators (if necessary to replace) are good. Ill include the links to the LMC kits. Thanks in advance!

Single fan: https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc/cooling-system/electric-cooling-fan-kit

Dual fans: https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc/cooling-system/cc-dual-electric-cooling-fan-assembly

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome. Why are you wanting to convert to electric? Are you having cooling issues now or is this just something you want to do? There are pros and cons to both so I just want to know what your expectations are and not waste time/money.

asamra09

Reaction score
First Name
Avraj
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome. Why are you wanting to convert to electric? Are you having cooling issues now or is this just something you want to do? There are pros and cons to both so I just want to know what your expectations are and not waste time/money.
Thank you! Im not having any cooling issues. Its mainly something I want to do. Ive heard you can gain a little power and mpg's from converting from electric fans, but im not expecting much in those categories. I like the idea of the ac working better at idle and it would free up some room in the engine bay. I already have a upgraded 150 amp powermaster alternator in my truck so that's taken care of.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
First, remember that there is no electric fan that can cool better than a stock metal A/C fan (usually 7 bladed) with the correct factory shroud and an HD fan clutch. The electric fan is an alternative, not a cooling system improvement.

One common high flow electric fan setup comes from a Ford Taurus, Lincoln Mark VIII, or Ford Windstar minivan. One type uses a single two speed fan and the other has a single shroud with two fans. You can get them from the junkyard, or Dorman still sells replacement fans through auto parts stores. For a junkyard pull, make sure you also get the fan controller, since they use some high amperage factory relays.
Here’s one example of a posting about this solution. https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/junkyard-electric-fans.194227/

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
^. What he said!

It’s hard to beat factory engineering. We all like to think we work and abuse our trucks, but what the factory did during development was brutal. These trucks didn’t overheat when new, assuming it’s maintained they shouldn’t now.

The best fans are either the high dollar aftermarket, or OEM. Find a fan that covers as much of the radiator as possible, and includes a shroud.

Keep in mind the vast majority of aftermarket fans have severely optimistic cfm ratings. A good indication of how much airflow a fan will provide under real world applications is the current draw. Good powerful fans with aggressive fan blades need some serious power to turn.

Which brings up the last point to consider:charging system upgrades. Definitely upgrade the alternator, and the charge wire. A puny alternator won’t keep up. The CS130 alternator is an easy and cheap upgrade.

asamra09

Reaction score
First Name
Avraj
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Definitely, I already upgraded my alternator to a powermaster which is 150 amps. And my charge wire is 2 gauge along with a 2 gauge ground. I was looking at SPAL fans but the problem is I don't see anyone making a fan shroud that would work with a stock radiator. and those spal fans dont come with a shroud.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Definitely, I already upgraded my alternator to a powermaster which is 150 amps. And my charge wire is 2 gauge along with a 2 gauge ground. I was looking at SPAL fans but the problem is I don't see anyone making a fan shroud that would work with a stock radiator. and those spal fans dont come with a shroud.
I run the dual SPAL. The shroud is integral with the fans. Been using it for 15 years. They move a lot of air. Only brand I would consider. Same with Powermaster. Their stuff is top notch. You will know when they kick on. I discovered that adding a 1.5 farad capacitor to my stereo amps power source, it buffers everything in the electrical system including the fans. Accidental discovery but I'm surprised manufacturers don't incorporate them?

Attachments

• SPAL.JPG
    SPAL.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 115

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Accidental discovery but I'm surprised manufacturers don't incorporate them?
Remember what you paid for the capacitor? Now times that by a million units, and that's why the manufacturer has declined. They don't see the need, but clearly we do.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Ford windstar for the win. One does hate fords but they do have good electric fans. I have the drivers side fan connected to a temp switch and a relay. And the other fan is on a toggle. Never had to flip it once. The one fan keeps me at a perfect temp at a red light and shuts off once I get moving. Also fits like a glove.

legend57

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had a very good experience with replacing my clutch fan in my 1993 Chevy K3500 with a 454. I used the Flex-A-Lite direct fit dual fan with controller set up. It performed significantly better than the stock set up. With that success, I'm using the same set up on my current build, a 1976 K20 with a 400 small block (https://flex-a-lite.com/dual-13-1-2...ull-shroud-and-variable-speed-controller.html). Plus, as you mentioned, it clears up a bunch of room in the engine bay and the safety factor increases tremendously. And no, I don't work for them :)
One nice thing about their controller is it is a variable speed controller, so it helps to reduce the noise quite a bit. There are other brands that have it, too. I'd just avoid the basic relay on/off style, IMHO.

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hi all! Brand new to this forum and nice to see all of the recent discussions. I currently have an electric double fan attached directly to the radiator. I have an urge to try to find an OEM seven blade fan and a shroud but see a lot of mixed opinions on it. I do like the extra space in the engine bay but a couple things.....1) it seems cheap and 2) someone wired it wrong because it blows out through the grill vs. pulling air in. Yesterday, out of the blue, a ground wire just started frying and smoking. If I were to go with OEM, where the hell can I find the fan blade? I see clutches and shrouds but no fans. Also, the current fan runs when the accessory switch is on AND when the key is totally removed. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk