87 R10 HD Radiator Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve240

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I’m in the process of upgrading my radiator from the factory single core to the HD Dual core radiator, the only difference in the measurement is the thickness from 1.25 to 2.25, can I use my factory 2 piece shroud or do I need to upgrade to the 1 piece big block shroud? What size is factory small block fan on a 87 R10? What size is the factory big block fan in square bodies?

I want to keep the factory look and mechanical fan. If anyone has done this please share your knowledge.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Are you using a factory type radiator or an aftermarket aluminum or something else?

If you’re using a factory type radiator I’d suggest getting it in first and test fitting your shroud, it may work. You want the fan in the opening of the shroud but there’s a little fudge room there.

The factory fans are all the same diameter, it’s the blade count that changes based on options (engine, cooling package, a/c, etc). The blade counts vary between 3 to 7.

Your core support will accept any of the factory radiators all the way up to the huge (wider) 6.2 diesel 4 row unit. Obviously, the really big units use different shrouds but the hard to find parts can be the bigger mounting brackets for the top.

steve240

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
i figured it out. I am using the larger dual core OEM direct replacement from NAPA. All I had to do was buy the larger radiator bushing/pads, a big block radiator mount and a few slight trims to my factory shroud. Super easy upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod