Edelbrock Carb #1406 Calibration & Reference Chart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd have to look for the initial screw settings to be sure. IIRC, it's 3 on the Eddys.

As far as your stumble, my guess is going to be Accelerator pump. If all else is fine and you just have a major stumble when you give it gas, it's not getting the initial squirt of fuel from the Accelerator pump. Many times when it's gone bad you'd see where fuel has spilled over the pump stem area and it should be dirty in that area.

If you take off ever so gradually and it works fine, but if you stab the throttle and it falls on it's face, then that should be the culprit. USUALLY.... if it's carb related.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I'd have to look for the initial screw settings to be sure. IIRC, it's 3 on the Eddys.

As far as your stumble, my guess is going to be Accelerator pump. If all else is fine and you just have a major stumble when you give it gas, it's not getting the initial squirt of fuel from the Accelerator pump. Many times when it's gone bad you'd see where fuel has spilled over the pump stem area and it should be dirty in that area.

If you take off ever so gradually and it works fine, but if you stab the throttle and it falls on it's face, then that should be the culprit. USUALLY.... if it's carb related.

Hey HRPC did you ever look these up? Having some minor issues with my 1406.
Definitely seems like the accelerator pump is sluggish gonna look into it more though. Just looking for a base point. Picked up a vacuum tested today so I can check the vacuum settings and try to adjust according to the instruction manual.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
I set my 1406 to:

Secondary jets are .101

71/47 rods with #5 orange spring

Primary jets are .098

Fuel plunger rod set to top position which eliminated a slight hesitation off the line.

Floats are properly set and new fuel plunger installed.

More power than I've ever had get up and go around town up to about 55/60mph. Beyond that it flattens out and has no additional power...passing is an issue without downshifting to second...thoughts?

I have 4.10 gears with 4" lift and 35" tires new 700R4 tranny, timing and vacuum advance set properly.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I set my 1406 to:

Secondary jets are .101

71/47 rods with #5 orange spring

Primary jets are .098

Fuel plunger rod set to top position which eliminated a slight hesitation off the line.

Floats are properly set and new fuel plunger installed.

More power than I've ever had get up and go around town up to about 55/60mph. Beyond that it flattens out and has no additional power...passing is an issue without downshifting to second...thoughts?

I have 4.10 gears with 4" lift and 35" tires new 700R4 tranny, timing and vacuum advance set properly.

Are you saying the transmission will not downshift??? This is very very critical to your transmission, especially having 35's. You'll tear that transmission up in about 500 miles or less if you don't get it right, but it sounds as if your TV calbe needs adjusted.

Did you get the geometry corrector for the Eddy Carb to work with the 700r4? The trans kickdown spot on the carb is for Th350.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Even better...bought and installed the bowtieoverdrive geometry correction kit and had the tranny shop install. Called bow tie and told me what was happening and they told me that it was acting as it should and I need to shift it in such circumstances...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Even better...bought and installed the bowtieoverdrive geometry correction kit and had the tranny shop install. Called bow tie and told me what was happening and they told me that it was acting as it should and I need to shift it in such circumstances...

Bowtie Overdrives is telling you this is normal??? That don't sound right at all if I understand you right. Makes me wonder if you might need a governer swap.

If the rpm are up to high, the trans won't downshift. Makes me wonder if you might have a car type governor in it that's used to 3.08 or 2.73 gears, and you have 4.10's so the governer is disabeling the downshift. Of course you also have 35in tires that should compensate for those lower gears. If they're certain the TV cable is adjusted properly, I'd suggest swapping governers with a buddy that has a 700r4 in his truck and see if it makes a difference just for ***** & giggles.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I dug out my Eddy Carbs I've collected the last few years. All 4 of them, except the burnt came off of the burnt cab truck, had been worked over by someone putting a kit in them and then couldn't get them to work.

1 was missing a linkage rod, 1 had a linkage rod backwards, 1 was missing part of the manual choke cable bracket, and 1 was bound up due to someone not putting some together right. So after putting all the linkages on correctly, robbing a few parts off of the burnt one for each of the other 3, it appears I have 3 good rebuildable Eddy's now. 2 of them being 1406's with Auto Choke and 1 being a 1405 with manual choke. The one 1406 that the guy put the kit in and couldn't get it to work, is the one that was missing a rod and had a rod backwards. It looks real clean too. I have a feeling that one will be a good working carb.

Next up, sorting thru my Holleys and doing the same thing. IIRC, I have 2 old school 600cfm Vac Secondaries List 1850-X and at least 1 750cfm Vac Secondary. Then onto the box of Q Jets.

Attachments

• Eddys 018.jpg
    Eddys 018.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Eddys 020.jpg
    Eddys 020.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 211

Jacob86Custom

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 carb?

Hey yall,
I just bought a 350 for my '86 Custom Deluxe. I was looking around on witch carb to buy. I hurd that the Edelbrock Thunder series AVS 650 cfm is a great carb for the 350. I was just wondering if it will fit my stock 346250 GM intake?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't claim to be the expert in this area, but I'm pretty sure you'll need a spread bore carb for an OEM intake manifold. Or, you could use that adapter that doubles as a spacer. Some say that will increase hp a bit too. You may wish to wait and see who else chimes in that is 100% certain.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When I bought my truck it had a 1406 mounted on the stock manifold with one of those spacer doodads. I went to the air-gap manifold, so I have a square-bore carb to spread-bore manifold spacer laying around if you need it.

cj2448

Reaction score
First Name
cj
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Will it help any putting a spacer setup with this carb

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Remember too that those charts are for sea level. so if your high in elevation you will need to run leaner than those charts prescribe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii