Rebuild 1406 vs upgrade to 650cfm (Edelbrock)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would rebuild the carburetor you have.

I would lower the float slightly, Edelbrocks are ok with that and it can help with flooding issues.

I would run the bare minimum pressure. Remember once the gas gets into the float bowl there is no pressure. From there vacuum sucks it into the engine. So it does not matter how much pressure there is only that there is enough volume to keep up with demand.

The PO put an Edelbrock carburetor on my truck before I bought it and it had a terrible flooding problem, both at idle and hot restarts sucked. Lowering the float level helped a little, but regulating the fuel pressure made the biggest difference. I started at 5PSI and each day I'd run 1/2 a lb less until I had run-ability issues. For me that occurred at 3psi. At WOT it would starve for fuel. So I increased the fuel pressure to 3 1/2PSI and have been running that amount for the last 4 years. Each fuel pump is likely to vary a little bit so my point is it's fine to play around with the pressure a little until you find the lowest pressure that will still provide enough volume.

Also adding a heat insulating spacer between carb and the intake can be helpful if the flooding issue seems heat related.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 yep! All rebuilt. Followed the two long videos on YouTube by Hagerty. Runs much better now, after I have the tach installed and the timing dialed in, I’ll be doing the final carb tuning.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Check the float level. It's kinda a bigger deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adriank