Drill Bit Talk & Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
How many of you's hate drilling, especially with old beat up bits? Some new ones even suck. What types do you prefer and how do you keep them working good?

I like those tips that have the groove in them, they seem to cut good.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Dewalt drill bits with the pilots on them are on wood. I like metal drill bits made by craftsman that drill through hard metal. I dont think craftsman makes them anymore. There in a red metal box and I paid 60 bucks for them long time ago.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Dewalt drill bits with the pilots on them are on wood. I like metal drill bits made by craftsman that drill through hard metal. I dont think craftsman makes them anymore. There in a red metal box and I paid 60 bucks for them long time ago.
I just have a bunch of mixed brands thrown in a plastic cup.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know this much. Avoid Harbor Freight Bits. Most of them are very weak. And I don't mean to snap from hard pressure. I kid you know, I have been using them before, and when they get hot, they will bend right over. Its actually quite funny looking. Then after they cool, they won't bend back and if you try, they'll snap then. So bottom line, the HF bits I have tried, do not stand up to heavy duty drilling and heat. Thin sheet metal, you're OK, probably wood too, but don't think you'll get a hole drilled thru a frame or a bracket. Its not gonna happen.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I like the DeWalt Pilot Point bits too, they do pretty good on steel as well. I have one of those plastic coffee cans full of random drill bits I've acquired over the years, I always go for those first before using my good stuff.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have been Googling the Dewalt bits to see what you guys are talking about, they look good, and I like the non slip shank on them too.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I collect driil sets the way Retro collects sockets. The best set that I have for the tough jobs are made by Rodman.

http://www.rodmanandcoinc.com/rodmanandcoinc.com/item04c5-2.html?UCIDs=1307321|1307323&PRID=1492961

I bought them at the county fair after watching the demo guy drill through concrete block, tool steel, ceramic tile, and glass all with the same bit. Company support is first rate too, I broke the 1/8" bit while trying to drill at an angle and sent the broken bit back to Rodman for replacement. I got a letter back a week later telling me they received the manilla envelope but the drill was missing. (I hadn't included a note telling them what I needed.) But based on the indentation the drill had made in the envelope they guessed (correctly) that I need a 1/8" bit and included it with the letter they sent. Great service.

To keep the rest of my drills sharp I bought a Drill Doctor 750X.

http://www.drilldoctor.com/

My Dad could sharpen a bit by hand on a grinder but I never got the hang of it. The DD is easy to use and even does split-points. I've sharpened enough bits with it to pay for itself.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I collect driil sets the way Retro collects sockets. The best set that I have for the tough jobs are made by Rodman.

http://www.rodmanandcoinc.com/rodmanandcoinc.com/item04c5-2.html?UCIDs=1307321|1307323&PRID=1492961

I bought them at the county fair after watching the demo guy drill through concrete block, tool steel, ceramic tile, and glass all with the same bit. Company support is first rate too, I broke the 1/8" bit while trying to drill at an angle and sent the broken bit back to Rodman for replacement. I got a letter back a week later telling me they received the manilla envelope but the drill was missing. (I hadn't included a note telling them what I needed.) But based on the indentation the drill had made in the envelope they guessed (correctly) that I need a 1/8" bit and included it with the letter they sent. Great service.
No ****, that good and versatile? Damn. I couldn;t imagine using the same bit for all those materials.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Looks like a hammer drill bit. Since they say it works I guess it works, but I would feel weird using a masonry bit to drill steel.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
They drill through anything, but the key is a fast drill. I don't bother using them in a cordless drill because the rpm's are too low.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is 13,000 fast enough or higher than that?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got a big box of drill bits I got from my brother in law, who knows where he got them. They were new though. I've put them all through hell and they have held up fine, except for a couple smaller ones. They died trying to drill steam holes into a set of SBC heads.

At work, I just have a mix of different bits. Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc. When I wear those out, I just sharpen them on the bench grinder. I've gotten pretty darn good at it. Only the smaller ones (like 1/8) get replaced when they wear out.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Steam holes? :think:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Geez man, wth kinda drill you got? My corded Skil works

good at 2250.
No, I am sorry, I meant 1,300. That's the top speed of my Makita cordless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486