Draining Gas Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a feeling your fuel pressure will be ZERO. As asked by Swim, and the TBI fuel pressure tap and adapter. It looks similar to schrater valve as I recall.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
you got the right adapter to test tbi fuel pressure?

I have a feeling your fuel pressure will be ZERO. As asked by Swim, and the TBI fuel pressure tap and adapter. It looks similar to schrater valve as I recall.

Dont even have tester. Gotta find cheap one. Maybe walmart has one.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Dont even have tester. Gotta find cheap one. Maybe walmart has one.

$20 at Harbor Freight for a tester. MAKE SURE TO USE TEFLON TAPE on all connections or it will leak, but otherwise it works great. Will not work on GM TBI system unless you get or make an adapter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html

The $129 kit does have the adapter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/master-fuel-injection-pressure-test-kit-97706.html

The TBI adapter will be more expensive and slightly harder to find.

http://www.automotive-diagnostic-to...ction-Pressure-Tester-Adapter-p/sgt-37650.htm

Last edited:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
that won't work for fuel injection. That's for low fuel pressure carbed engines.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK. Here's cheap and junky hand pump. I bought this from walmart though. The hoses wont stay on the pump.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200430883_200430883

I'll assure you, that's the same cheap pump I bought at HF onsale for $1.99 or $2.99 one time. I can't find it on their website now. But if I knew where it was I'd get you a pic of it. Packaging looks a little differant, and the hose is a differant color, but otherwise, same pump and blister packing, just a differant label.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea you need the tbi adapter I paid over $20 for it, goes in place of the fuel filter some have them that bolt in behind the tbi, unhook the pressure line going into the tbi, put the adapter on the tbi then screw the line into it and check it, or don't hook it to the tbi and hook the line to it only, I forget but mines the frame rail/fuel filter replacement type.

Any higher pressure fuel tester will work, it needs to read past 15 psi. if the pump aint coming on it's gonna be zero though regardless, you gotta make it work before you can test it. I assume the pump you got from wal-mart is to drain the tank?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
yea you need the tbi adapter I paid over $20 for it, goes in place of the fuel filter some have them that bolt in behind the tbi, unhook the pressure line going into the tbi, put the adapter on the tbi then screw the line into it and check it, or don't hook it to the tbi and hook the line to it only, I forget but mines the frame rail/fuel filter replacement type.

Any higher pressure fuel tester will work, it needs to read past 15 psi. if the pump aint coming on it's gonna be zero though regardless, you gotta make it work before you can test it. I assume the pump you got from wal-mart is to drain the tank?

yes the pump is to drain the tank.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Put some zip ties on the hoses...Or small hose clamps. :)

There plastic bushings/fittings going the one end on each hose. I can use zip ties or clamps but I would have to cut the plastic bushings/fittings off the one end on each hose.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
It was a good buy them come in handy for alot of things, you can suck antifreeze from the jug to the rad and vice versa, oil, gear grease like in the rear ends, trans. fluid all kinds of stuff.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
So do I risk messing up the way it is now by the ends off and use clamps? Plus I hear sucking air too like those plastic bushings aren't sealed enough to pump anything. I never did get this thing to work.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score