Draining Gas Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My cousin from Michigan showed me "Detroit style" syphoning...take about 6 feet of hose, feed it into the tank as far as you can, put your thumb over the end and quickly pull about 3 feet of the hose out and down then take your thumb off. If you do it right you'll have a foot or 2 of gas in the hose past the highest point and it will automatically start the syphoning process.

It works, I've done it several times. The reason it works, is the fuel that you have trapped in the hose, as you let it come out of the hose, its drawing a siphon and there you go. Once you got it going its going.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Anyone ever heard of draining much as possible of old gas in tanks then add premium gas to it? Its supposed to bring the octane back up.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If it's been sitting that long it probably has an inch of varnish in the bottom. I would drain it and make sure the tank is even worth keeping. Gas is too expensive (around here anyway) to try something like that with the possibility it wont work.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
If it's been sitting that long it probably has an inch of varnish in the bottom. I would drain it and make sure the tank is even worth keeping. Gas is too expensive (around here anyway) to try something like that with the possibility it wont work.

Well I know there's no holes in the tank yet.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Varnish wont cause holes but you'll pay hell trying to get it all cleaned out. Especially if it dries, it comes off in chips.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
guys already mentioned in this thread about adding premium gas to their old, it works but there is still bad gas in it. Still varnish and gunk too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you do that trick Dave, I'd drain all I could out of it. Pour in some good gas treatment and shake the truck, rock it as much as possible to mix it up and let that sit for a day or 2 before I added anything else. Then add the new gas if you want to try it, but be prepared the filter might clog. I really prefer not to do things like that on an injection system, but I'd try it on a carbed system. How about drain all you can, then drop the tank, pull the pump and sending unit and clean it out as best you can?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
If you do that trick Dave, I'd drain all I could out of it. Pour in some good gas treatment and shake the truck, rock it as much as possible to mix it up and let that sit for a day or 2 before I added anything else. Then add the new gas if you want to try it, but be prepared the filter might clog. I really prefer not to do things like that on an injection system, but I'd try it on a carbed system. How about drain all you can, then drop the tank, pull the pump and sending unit and clean it out as best you can?

ok, Used fuel pump from junkyard around here is 50 bucks which is the same as a new one. So I have to decide if its worth it for parts truck for a start once a week and diagnose a 700r4 trany(by word of mouth).

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
In my case, old gasoline would not mix with new gasoline. As long as the tank was above 1/4 or so the gas in my clear filter was clean and clear. If I ran it lower I would start to see nasty caramel colors and if I ran out completely... it would pump the really sticky nasty **** through the system. It caused some hell inside my carb.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I did find a fuel pump for 30 and sending unit for 35 if I had to replace both to start engine.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
drain it, drop it, try the fuel pump with the tank on the ground and fresh gas in the tank.

If you got the cash buy a new pump screw the sending unit, then you know it'll work and you can return the pump and say it won't fit or keep it for later.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'm gonna do fuel pressure test and drain old first as mentioned in earlier posts.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you got the right adapter to test tbi fuel pressure?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SquareInheretance