Draining Gas Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
still just make sure the thing don't spark or flash when you hit it or use it. I know I got a black and decker cordless and plugin and both have the flash.

Ok. If I could get this started to exam the trany.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
is that what you're going for drain it and get the fp working to start it and drive it?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not sure, but I would check to see if the relay is sending power out or better yet check the power wire at the FP, if it's not getting power it's probably the relay, which is under the firewal cover on the pass. side fuse/relay cover the plastic thing over the a/c can.

or you can just use a test light or straight to the battery, use test light to find power in the fuse box with key off or go to the battery and energize that fp test port in the aldl, and see if it comes on. I had a camaro that would not kick in the pump with the key on and cranking, but I could energize it thru that port and get it running, turns out the wire from the battery to the dist. block was broke, fixed it and it worked on it's own.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
not sure, but I would check to see if the relay is sending power out or better yet check the power wire at the FP, if it's not getting power it's probably the relay, which is under the firewal cover on the pass. side fuse/relay cover the plastic thing over the a/c can.

or you can just use a test light or straight to the battery, use test light to find power in the fuse box with key off or go to the battery and energize that fp test port in the aldl, and see if it comes on. I had a camaro that would not kick in the pump with the key on and cranking, but I could energize it thru that port and get it running, turns out the wire from the battery to the dist. block was broke, fixed it and it worked on it's own.

ok, thanks.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Some fuel pumps only run for a second to prime the injectors for starting, then the pump will run after the engine is running. Could be a number of reasons it wont pump. If it has a fuel filter on the frame rail I would take it loose, put an empty pan under it and turn the key on for a second and see if it pumps any gas. If it does it's only running for a second.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ture but a wire to the test port keeps it on.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's kinda what I was leading to, I'm distracted watching Wildest Police Videos lol.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOl yea it'll keep it going. he could start it that way too. Once it starts pumping if it does he can turn the key and fire it up, if everythings ok. Once running the oil pressure sending unit that it ties into keeps the pump running. At least it did on my 86 camaro that was mpfi though. Not sure on these newer trucks but if his relay is bad I'm not sure if energizing the test port makes it work or not. if the FP itself is bad it porbbaly won't do anything either. the relay is cheap enough though or he could swipe one from his other truck to try it.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think I remember someone telling me there are 2 relays there close together under the hood on the firewall, closer to the driver's side. One is for the fuel pump, cant remember what the other is for. But they are identical. If you suspect one is bad you just swap the wires onto the other and try it to see if it works.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I think I remember someone telling me there are 2 relays there close together under the hood on the firewall, closer to the driver's side. One is for the fuel pump, cant remember what the other is for. But they are identical. If you suspect one is bad you just swap the wires onto the other and try it to see if it works.

There's only the fuel pump relay and fuel pump fuse holder. Thats under hood in box on passenger of the firewall.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea on the newer trucks it is. On my camaro it was exactly as you said but on the PS two relays same plugins and all.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
probably so because I forget, maybe mine has 2 lol. I know the camaro did but not sure on my 88 k1500

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86 Square Body