Air Storage Tank Alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So I've been at this property for over two years now and I'm still discovering things that were left behind by the last owners. One of the latest discoveries is an old refrigerant tank that had been converted to an air tank. I tried it out today... it works awesome! It's way more convenient than the Craftsman tank I've been using for 20+ years.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not only does the r22 tank offer more capacity, but it is probably half the weight of the actual air storage tank that I have. It also doesn't have the stupid little cheap shutoff valve like so many air tanks do, just the normal tank valve. I believe the r22 tank was converted with a universal kit of some kind. It uses this nifty little manifold that includes an air hose, fill port and stick style pressure gauge all in one piece. Besides being threaded for the tank valve, it also has male NPT threads to be used in other air type tanks.

So now I have two questions. What is a safe pressure level for the typical refrigerant tank? I don't believe I've ever put a gauge directly on a refrigerant tank to know what kind of pressure they are shiped with when new. Also, what else have y'all turned into an air storage tank?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So I've been at this property for over two years now and I'm still discovering things that were left behind by the last owners. One of the latest discoveries is an old refrigerant tank that had been converted to an air tank. I tried it out today... it works awesome! It's way more convenient than the Craftsman tank I've been using for 20+ years.

Not only does the r22 tank offer more capacity, but it is probably half the weight of the actual air storage tank that I have. It also doesn't have the stupid little cheap shutoff valve like so many air tanks do, just the normal tank valve. I believe the r22 tank was converted with a universal kit of some kind. It uses this nifty little manifold that includes an air hose, fill port and stick style pressure gauge all in one piece. Besides being threaded for the tank valve, it also has male NPT threads to be used in other air type tanks.

So now I have two questions. What is a safe pressure level for the typical refrigerant tank? I don't believe I've ever put a gauge directly on a refrigerant tank to know what kind of pressure they are shiped with when new. Also, what else have y'all turned into an air storage tank?

I know what im using this for now
I did some googling, an apparently the thin wall tanks of old (these tanks) have no anti corrosion coatings inside them ,because no moisture would be present. so you would want to only ever put dry air in. And they are not as robust as a propane or air tank like you have, so you would just not want to ever let it get hit or something. But from what I have seen, they could easily hold up to a few hundred pounds.. but nothing definitive

Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
No
Truck Model
No
Engine Size
No
R22 tanks usually have a burst/failure rating around 600-700psi. With corrosion in play it's really a crapshoot but failures on air tanks under 200psi tend to be much less spectacular than most imagine. Projectiles like fittings are the real concern.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
R22 tanks usually have a burst/failure rating around 600-700psi. With corrosion in play it's really a crapshoot but failures on air tanks under 200psi tend to be much less spectacular than most imagine. Projectiles like fittings are the real concern.

Awesome! So it turns out that I was playing it safe by filling it to 125 psi.

Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
No
Truck Model
No
Engine Size
No
Awesome! So it turns out that I was playing it safe by filling it to 125 psi.
No problem at 125. The pressure relief usually goes at about 400psi. Just as a qualifier I've been in and out of the HVAC industry for over 2 decades and seen many refrigerant tanks converted.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No problem at 125. The pressure relief usually goes at about 400psi. Just as a qualifier I've been in and out of the HVAC industry for over 2 decades and seen many refrigerant tanks converted.
how about orangie on my wall? R404a or something?

Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
No
Truck Model
No
Engine Size
No
how about orangie on my wall? R404a or something?
Slightly lower burst pressure required for those tanks so expect a minimum failure of 500-550psi. It's all based on the 5/3 ratings of most pressure vessels in other words they are to be able to handle at least 5/3 of the working pressure of the high side of the cooling units they are used to fill and recover from. There's not a refrigerant tank made that won't handle 'normal' air pressures. Just be aware they are definitely thinner than air compressor and bubble tanks so like you said don't set them down on anything that could puncture them. Even then it would just be scary and not really dangerous at less than 200psi. The air escapes too fast to really blow things apart.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Also, what else have y'all turned into an air storage tank?
I use a medium duty truck air tank. Yes, much heaver than the freon can, but it was free. It was on a wrecked truck going to scrap. No worries about a failure, if it rusts out, they just start to leak. I added a gauge and relief valve.

Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
No
Truck Model
No
Engine Size
No
Consider that when you pop the pop off valve on your compressor tank it's exactly like poking a hole in it. If it happens unexpectedly it can scare the sheet out of you but it's not going to hurt you. Projectiles like a barely screwed in fitting blowing off are definitely the bigger concern at moderate pressures.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I thought those freon can air kits had a safety pop off valve at 140lbs. I'll look at mine tomorrow, same as bucket I prefer my freon can to all the other air bubbles I've had. A tip for you,unscrew the air chuck put a Milton coupler there. Now take a female and a male Milton fitting and screw them together, using that fitting you can couple the freon tank hose to your air compressor hose for unbelievable fast fills. Full shut the freon valve pop the coupler at the compressor hose,put your air chuck on a coupling on. For those that don't know the old propane grill tanks ,the ones with the triangle knob,that you can't get filled. Their hose fitting is 1/4 npt same as a compressor air fitting . If you use a fitting like I described above for fill. You can use a propane tank to make am almost free air tank. 1 to full the tank 1 for filling tires. If using a propane tank you just fill through the hose,but fill through the hose makes filling any airtank way faster.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-30_103617.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-30_103617.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I’ve had one since the mid 80s, rarely use it or should write that I haven’t used it since I stopped motocross racing. I used to bring it to the races to fix a flat, if needed. I recently purchased a M18 Milwaukee inflator so I doubt I will ever use it now. It was great back in the day.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I’ve had one since the mid 80s, rarely use it or should write that I haven’t used it since I stopped motocross racing. I used to bring it to the races to fix a flat, if needed. I recently purchased a M18 Milwaukee inflator so I doubt I will ever use it now. It was great back in the day.
how much can you air with a small m18 battery? big one?

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Actually, I was incorrect; that’s what happens when you let the old dog out at 2 am and post. It’s a M12 inflator which I purchased to do quick small air ups for low tires around the house and I bring with me on road trips. Here are the specs. The reviews aren’t the greatest for large tires. I do see Milwaukee does offer an M18 solution which appears much more robust and also much more expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.png
    IMG_2511.png
    203.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2513.jpeg
    IMG_2513.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I thought those freon can air kits had a safety pop off valve at 140lbs. I'll look at mine tomorrow, same as bucket I prefer my freon can to all the other air bubbles I've had. A tip for you,unscrew the air chuck put a Milton coupler there. Now take a female and a male Milton fitting and screw them together, using that fitting you can couple the freon tank hose to your air compressor hose for unbelievable fast fills. Full shut the freon valve pop the coupler at the compressor hose,put your air chuck on a coupling on. For those that don't know the old propane grill tanks ,the ones with the triangle knob,that you can't get filled. Their hose fitting is 1/4 npt same as a compressor air fitting . If you use a fitting like I described above for fill. You can use a propane tank to make am almost free air tank. 1 to full the tank 1 for filling tires. If using a propane tank you just fill through the hose,but fill through the hose makes filling any airtank way faster.
WAIT, old propane tanks are the 1/4 npt? i have a couple 20 lb cylinders and 1 30lb cylinder that are the old kind

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Actually, I was incorrect; that’s what happens when you let the old dog out at 2 am and post. It’s a M12 inflator which I purchased to do quick small air ups for low tires around the house and I bring with me on road trips. Here are the specs. The reviews aren’t the greatest for large tires. I do see Milwaukee does offer an M18 solution which appears much more robust and also much more expensive.
ive had my m12 inflator for a long time, a few years now. the battery life is MUCH better and mroe useable if you use the extended life m12 that allows m12 tools to stand on them (looks like an L shape)
With the extended battery, you could expect to do 1.5 tires on a car with 225/65/16 to 30 psi on one and about 20 psi on the second.

If you have multiple batteries, not a big deal at all to keep swapping. they do take a bit but they do get there!
You can also turn the air on without hooking to anything with the hose in hand and carefully blow air at something, ive cleaned up a small rust pile full of sharp edges with the hose where i didnt want to go find a brush

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag