Air Storage Tank Alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
WAIT, old propane tanks are the 1/4 npt? i have a couple 20 lb cylinders and 1 30lb cylinder that are the old kin

WAIT, old propane tanks are the 1/4 npt? i have a couple 20 lb cylinders and 1 30lb cylinder that are the old kind
Couple of ways to skin this cat. 1 is unscrew the whole valve assembly out of the top,screw in a fitting from the hardware store a junk air compressor tank etc. 2 is if you look at the valve,there's a safety pop off valve you can unscrew,it's 1/4 npt,you can screw an air hose in its place, I don't think the valve is a big deal breaker it pops at 375lbs my compressor won't go near that. 3rd and easiest is just snag the brass fitting off of a junk barbecue grill,they are 1/4 ,npt. Use the fitting only,and your own air hose.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-30_213145.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-30_213145.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2024-03-30_213155.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-30_213155.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Couple of ways to skin this cat,unscrew the whole valve assembly out of the top,screw in a fitting from the hardware store a junk air compressor tank etc. Also if you look at the valve,there's a safety pop off valve you can unscrew,it's 1/4 npt, I don't think the valve is a big deal breaker it pops at 375lbs my compressor won't go near that. Third and easiest is just snag the brass fitting out of a junk barbecue grill,they are 1/4 ,npt.
so the hose with regulator thats used on a grille or a torpedo type propane heater can be threaded into the tank instead of the valve on an old tank? or you keep the valve and put the hose on that valve? And youre saying you can put 375 pounds in a propane tank? damn

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
so the hose with regulator thats used on a grille or a torpedo type propane heater can be threaded into the tank instead of the valve on an old tank? or you keep the valve and put the hose on that valve? And youre saying you can put 375 pounds in a propane tank? damn
Use just the brass part that I pictured. The propane tank pop off valve is 375lbs I wouldn't be afraid to unscrew it and just screw in my airhose there,because it is 1/4 npt and even if you left it and went a different route,it wouldn't be of any value because you have no way off adding enough pressure to pop it off. Actually I'm not even certain I understand everything you asked me. If you use a piece from a grill all you want is the tank fitting,that's it,no regulator and use real air hose.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Use just the brass part that I pictured. The propane tank pop off valve is 375lbs I wouldn't be afraid to unscrew it and just screw in my airhose there,because it is 1/4 npt and even if you left it and went a different route,it wouldn't be of any value because you have no way off adding enough pressure to pop it off. Actually I'm not even certain I understand everything you asked me. If you use a piece from a grill all you want is the tank fitting,that's it,no regulator and use real air hose.
so there would be value in installing a gauge in place of the valve so i know relatively how much i have in there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod