Door handle install. Need a little guidance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This should go in a different section but figgered it would be seen more here.
Apparently after restoring the whole truck, me and the kid are too dumb to figure out how to hook up the exterior door handles to the linkage.
I left all the linkage in tact and disconnected at the roll pin that hooks to the door handle itself.
I’d really prefer to not go fishing inside the door and unhook the linkage down at the door latch, but we can’t seem to get everything lined up just right to get the roll pin back in.
Lost cause and give up and disassemble at the door latch so I can hook up the to the door handle on a bench, or any tricks to line them up?

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I can't help ya, but I'll be coming back here in a few weeks to see how its done. thanks for askin and take some pic's. :cheers:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Apparently after restoring the whole truck, me and the kid are too dumb to figure out how to hook up the exterior door handles to the linkage.
I left all the linkage in tact and disconnected at the roll pin that hooks to the door handle itself.
I’d really prefer to not go fishing inside the door and unhook the linkage down at the door latch, but we can’t seem to get everything lined up just right to get the roll pin back in.
Lost cause and give up and disassemble at the door latch so I can hook up the to the door handle on a bench, or any tricks to line them up?
There is a vertical rod [with a 90 degree bend] from the outside handle to the latch assy. On the outside [towards the door skin] there should be linkage to attach it. Retainer clip is attached to the latch. Rod pushes into the latch from the rear. It is somewhat difficult to get leverage/access. What I do is get the rod in the area with fingers, using a needle nose pliers start into latch. Use a short screwdriver to pry/clip it in.

May be others have a better method.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That roll pin is hard enough to get back in when you have it on the work bench. I couldn't imagine trying to do it on the truck. The spring has always been my problem, trying to keep it in line while driving the roll pin back in. I use a long 90 degree pick to pull back on the attaching clip at the top, then shove down on the clip to disengage it from the rod. The clips do get rusty so you may need to shoot it with some penetrating oil. When you go back together, install the clip fully back onto the tab and shove the rod through the gap in the clip. It will lock itself back in

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
You might be able to pull the screws out of the jamb and the bolts under the interior panel to get a little a little wiggle room without actually pulling it out of the door.... I disassembled a few door latches today & that sucker is a bee-atch.

Just to confirm, you do have the locking clip already installed on the latch mechanism right? You should be able to get the locking clip installed first before pushing the end of the door handle rod in.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@fast 99 and @Juggernaut, so you’re saying just deal with disconnecting the linkage inside the door.
Guess I’m with you as I’m pretty sure you can’t get the right angle to get the roll pin in, in the truck. That is the problem.
Hoping there was a trick. I got it out but different story going back in

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You might be able to pull the screws out of the jamb and the bolts under the interior panel to get a little a little wiggle room without actually pulling it out of the door.... I disassembled a few door latches today & that sucker is a bee-atch.

Just to confirm, you do have the locking clip already installed on the latch mechanism right? You should be able to get the locking clip installed first before pushing the end of the door handle rod in.
Yes I never removed the linkages from the door latches from inside the door.
I left it in place and unhooked it at the door handle.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yes I never removed the linkages from the door latches from inside the door.
I left it in place and unhooked it at the door handle.
Oh I get it now... I agree with removing the rod from the latch and reinstalling on the handle off the vehicle. It will snap right back in at the latch end if you reinstall the clip before assembly.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Seems to me someone showed me a trick on door latch and I don't remember if it was a square or another vehicle. You take the latch mounting bolts out. The other two rods kind of hold it in place. You move the latch back a little then you can look through the latch mounting hole and see to get the last rod connected.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Seems to me someone showed me a trick on door latch and I don't remember if it was a square or another vehicle. You take the latch mounting bolts out. The other two rods kind of hold it in place. You move the latch back a little then you can look through the latch mounting hole and see to get the last rod connected.
Interesting. Well I’ll remove the linkages and see.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
I drove the pin out, safety wired the rod before paint. When I got the truck back the rod was at the bottom of the door. Struggled with an aftermarket clip till I found the original. As said install the clip, not an easy task in it self, line up the rod and push in till it clicks. The pin on the other hand was another unpleasant task, positioning the spring… On top of that the push button fell out and got lost. Bought a aftermarket handle just for the button. Some things are less difficult than others, but nothin is easy! Soooo…..don’t feel bad

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have always wondered how the OEM assembles items like this. They don't have much time to do it. Likely have a tool but what is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76