Exterior Door Handle Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Please take a look at the picture above. It's taken inside my K10's passenger door, looking back towards the latch mechanism. The red arrow at the top of the picture is pointing to the rod that connects the exterior door handle to the latch mechanism.

Something is goofy with my exterior handle because that rod is able to slide up and out of position. When this happens, it freezes the door lock and latch making the door inoperable and unlockable. Sliding that rod back down so the flanged head is contacting the exterior handle mechanism frees up the lock/latch and gets the door working again.

Is there a simple way to get that rod to stay in position? I'm guessing I'm going to need to pull the clip at the bottom end of that rod to take the exterior handle out with the rod/handle mechanism attached. Then maybe bend something on the weird looking clip to get it to bite into the rod better???

I didn't want to attempt the clip removal in the dark on Wednesday night, and figured I'd do some more research before working on it in the daylight. Maybe this weekend??? Please let me know if you guys have any advice.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Yes, the spring in the door handle is still there. Thanks for the reply @MarineOne.

I never figured out the issue, but I guess it's moot now that I've replaced both doors. The old ones were getting full of rust holes and the hinges were bad too. The "new" doors have rust too, but at least the handles, latches, locks, and hinges all function properly.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Yes, the spring in the door handle is still there. Thanks for the reply @MarineOne.

I never figured out the issue, but I guess it's moot now that I've replaced both doors. The old ones were getting full of rust holes and the hinges were bad too. The "new" doors have rust too, but at least the handles, latches, locks, and hinges all function properly.
save the internal hardware from the old doors. Never know how long this "quest" will last lol.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
save the internal hardware from the old doors. Never know how long this "quest" will last lol.
Great suggestion. Yes, I will.

The old doors are laying in the back garage waiting for complete disassembly. Probably something I'll do over the winter.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Great suggestion. Yes, I will.

The old doors are laying in the back garage waiting for complete disassembly. Probably something I'll do over the winter.
If you've got younger kids or grandkids, do some wall art with spray paint and hang 'em. I gotta find wall space for a bedside on the wall in the small garage.

I showed the rustoleum can trigger thing to my grand son.....we've got dinosaurs on the trash cans and the driveway, then names on the rusted bedsides. Waiting for the younger one to learn his ABC's.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
If you've got younger kids or grandkids, do some wall art with spray paint and hang 'em.
Cute idea, and it sounds like a great way to spark their interest early.

I don't have any kids of my own, but I have friends with kids. I'll definitely consider it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005