Oil Canning in Driver Door at Handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
The driver door oil cans at the handle and I am not sure how to correct it. I attached a video of what it is doing. Is this something people have dealt with before? It seems kind of strange the door is so weak at that point. Is it missing a stiffener or something? The video appears to be too large to upload so I posted it to youtube.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So watching your video made me walk outside and look at mine. Appears to be normal. Yours is just more apparent because you have a shiny paint job. The bad part is once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks for checking. Weird the panel is that soft there. The passenger side doesn't do it on mine to nearly this extent. When the car was shipped the mover was a larger gentleman and apparently had trouble getting between the truck and the side of the transporter and leaned really heavily against the handle to squeeze by. It was popped way in when I got the truck. I had paintless dent removal take out most of the dent but now it oil cans like this. I may try and come up with some kinda stiffener on the inside panel....tbd.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Are you sure it's not an aftermarket door shell?

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
I am not. I don't believe it is, but I am not sure how to tell.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So it's possible yours was made worse by Fat Albert playing Houdini as you say. That would mean the metal was actually stretched on the door panel. This takes us into the world of bodywork. The metal needs to be shrunk. That usually involves heat and quenching to get it to pull back together. There are shrinking discs but either way, that area will have to be repainted. You have reminded me about the two extra doors I have. When I salvaged them I manhandled them into the back of my truck. I had a small Nissan with a camper shell on it so they wouldn't fit in the vertical position. By lifting them flat, I unknowingly stretched the door panels. Now my once pristine spare doors oil can just like yours- only worse.

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
The good news is it's popped mostly out and doesn't look that bad if you're not looking for it....and it's a truck after all. I just make sure to pull and push from the right side of the handle. If I make a stiffener that works easily I'll post it.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The good news is it's popped mostly out and doesn't look that bad if you're not looking for it....and it's a truck after all. I just make sure to pull and push from the right side of the handle. If I make a stiffener that works easily I'll post it.
I'll be interested in your stiffener idea. You can't put anything horizontal to the panel inside the door or you will block the window. That area behind the door handle is already a double panel.

Vetal4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30 Crew Cab
Engine Size
What about a piece of 1/4" bar stock panel bonded out of the way of moving parts?
Maybe you could run from the mirror bracket and catch the bold right on the inside of the panel….

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Now I am curious to check mine. I never noticed that before.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mine was exactly like this when I got it. I tried the heat/cold stunt and it sort of worked....but where it was stretched was right where you'd always be pushing or pulling it. So I added a thin patch plate from a hardware store - with 3M panel adhesive. Worked like a gem and is rock solid now.

I also had some major oil canning on the roof from hauling my stripped cab to be soda blasted and the 50mph air rushed into the open interior light hole and stretched it. About 100 dabs with a spot welder and cold wet rag tightened it back up just fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mr Stay Puft

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Doppleganger,
Very cool, that's along the lines I was thinking but with a bent edge flange to increase rigidity. Something like this.

However, the flange is gonna have to be pretty short. I though there was more room between the panel and the window because when the window is down there is plenty. However, as Squareroot pointed out, when the window is up there is barely any clearance with the supports at the bottom of the window.

I also noticed the existing reinforcement in the door area there isn't bonded to the panel out at the edges:

So I can slip the stiffener in a little way but not all the way to the screw. I think bonding the existing support out at the edges as well as using something like you did or something with a small edge flange might be enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe