Do alternators just die?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So is it pheasible that the alt just ****?? I took it off and spun it and it kinda has a metal screech to it. Feels a wee loose too

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Interstate makes them for Mercedes- our old driver told me this..... Its the same battery you can buy off the shelf in a store. He slaps a Mercedes sticker on it, and the price triples. Lmao....

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
That is the way alternators go out, just all of a sudden. If you had thought to test volts while running with meter, that would have let you know if it was bad. When alt goes out, truck will run till battery gets low. Truck will run without alt connected till power depletes. Newer vehicles with computers will not run without alt connected.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So is it pheasible that the alt just ****?? I took it off and spun it and it kinda has a metal screech to it. Feels a wee loose too
Possible. Your going to the parts store, take your battery too. Have them load test it twice. Once when you get there and once when they are done moapsing around looking for stuff.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Possible. Your going to the parts store, take your battery too. Have them load test it twice. Once when you get there and once when they are done moapsing around looking for stuff.
Good point...

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Could be your starter. That alternator has 3 wires
Honestly only ever once did i have a starter on a sbc problem, went to go to work and when i turned the key it went rur rur bang! Come to find out it blew the nose cone off.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sounds like the alternator ****.

Everytime I take a battery in for warranty, I gotta leave it there so they can charge it, even if I told them I just took it off the charger.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Sounds like the alternator ****.

Everytime I take a battery in for warranty, I gotta leave it there so they can charge it, even if I told them I just took it off the charger.
That’s so they can screw with it to get a pass printout, so they don’t have to give you a new one.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That is the way alternators go out, just all of a sudden. If you had thought to test volts while running with meter, that would have let you know if it was bad. When alt goes out, truck will run till battery gets low. Truck will run without alt connected till power depletes. Newer vehicles with computers will not run without alt connected.

The first time I met my now wife, she and her sister came out and we drove all over the Sierra Nevadas and the Inyo's. I kept seeing the check engine light come on, then go off, so I thought nothing of it. Our last stop was a hairy two lane stretch of road cut into the side of a mountain, so it was wall on one side and hundreds of feet to the bottom on the other side. It didn't help that it was partly icy. So after white-knuckling the 20-point turn without falling over the edge to our demise, we hiked around. It was 9 degrees, we were the only ones out there, no cell service, and the vehicle started up just fine. Sun was dropping behind the mountains as were starting back down. About halfway down I turned on the headlights and noticed they seemed dim. But with it being dusk it was difficult to tell. Going through town same thing because of the street lights. Leaving town I went to set the cruise control and the tach was at zero, the speedometer was at zero, and I said them "UH-OH", this isn't good. I think we may be make it though." My wife is quite adventerous so she wasn't worried. We tailed cars in front and soon the lights were getting dimmer by the minute. Halfway to our destination the vehicle quit so we coasted off the highway. Found out AAA doesn't have battery replacement service in that area. Got towed to the hotel, and got stiffed the next day with an overpriced battery from the only auto parts store in town. Even with the new battery I barely made it back home because they alternator had failed.

As honky said, take them both in and have both tested.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That’s so they can screw with it to get a pass printout, so they don’t have to give you a new one.
Yeah, that's true, and its really F'd up too. It doesn't cost the store anything- they get them warrantied out by the battery vendor. Poor customer service IMHO....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yeah well they always fail, lol. I bought a bunch of Advance batteries in a few year stretch. What a terrible experience it has turned out to be.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yeah, that's true, and its really F'd up too. It doesn't cost the store anything- they get them warrantied out by the battery vendor. Poor customer service IMHO....

That's what's nice about wally-world batteries. If it fails within three years it's free replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35