Do alternators just die?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Leavin work today and the truck started fine, drove 6 miles to the grocery store and went to leave and just click click click. Tightened power on battery and no change. All lights and everything are normal, got a jump and fired right up. Driving home the amp gauge never left the the low red. When i shut it off at home and tried to restard it had nothing but all interior light and everything are normal. So im assuming the alternator ****... do the just go with no warning??? Also auto store said its a single wire, is there a difference in the plugs?

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Could be your starter. That alternator has 3 wires

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Could be just the battery too, if it took a massive dump. Pulling the alternator down....

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mine did the same a month or two back. I thought at first it was the battery, put a new one in and it ran great for a day then once the new battery drained i was stuck in town and had to trailer it back home. cleaned all connections real well, replaced the starter with a new one off the shelf, still nothing. Then replaced the alternator with a new one and all is good with the world again.

What I should have done: taken the battery after charging it, alternator, and starter to the local napa and had each one tested. they'll be able to tell you which are bad.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I hafta pull the alt regardless for the core so im gunna have them test it and i know the battery is good because its crank(ed) good and fast and i have full interior lights and such. Im leaning to the alt because of the amp gauge not leaving the low red, usually it rides the edge of the high red.. just took that btw picture so it cant be the battery with my lights that bright, i wouldnt think...

You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Had a similar thing happen years ago. Vehicle started just fine to come to work, everything was fine, volt meter was reading proper voltage. Went to leave for lunch and click, click, click. Radio worked, lights worked, electric locks worked, so the battery had voltage. Cleaned the terminals, and click, click, click. Removed the battery to charge it, reinstalled it after charging, click, click, click. Battery had 12 volts with the tester. Took it back out and went to Interstate to have them test it. It had lost the cranking amps. Replaced it and voila!, proplem fixed.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Had a similar thing happen years ago. Vehicle started just fine to come to work, everything was fine, volt meter was reading proper voltage. Went to leave for lunch and click, click, click. Radio worked, lights worked, electric locks worked, so the battery had voltage. Cleaned the terminals, and click, click, click. Removed the battery to charge it, reinstalled it after charging, click, click, click. Battery had 12 volts with the tester. Took it back out and went to Interstate to have them test it. It had lost the cranking amps. Replaced it and voila!, proplem fixed.
After i came home and let it sit (while on the phone with auto stores) for ***** i hit the key and it cranked about 3/4 over and click click click. More then the first time so idk. I hope its not my battery because it was a $175 battery!!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
After i came home and let it sit (while on the phone with auto stores) for ***** i hit the key and it cranked about 3/4 over and click click click. More then the first time so idk. I hope its not my battery because it was a $175 battery!!
How old is it?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
How old is it?
Almost 2 years.... also interesting to note i got it jumped at the store by a fellow square owner in his mid to late 20s driving a jacked up 80s blazer that sounded good! Props to him

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That's why I stopped buying them at Interstate, they are pricey. Rarely do they last the amount of time they're supposed to. I had one battery, a walmart brand, that actually lasted a year longer, and was still good when I replaced it, but I didn't want to risk the summer with it in the vehicle so I replaced it.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
That's why I stopped buying them at Interstate, they are pricey. Rarely do they last the amount of time they're supposed to. I had one battery, a walmart brand, that actually lasted a year longer, and was still good when I replaced it, but I didn't want to risk the summer with it in the vehicle so I replaced it.
I looked all over for the biggest cca when i got this one, it came from napa. Its a napa legend 1050 ca, its a great battery! Whirls that ol 350 over like a drunk carney runnin the marry go round.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Almost 2 years.... also interesting to note i got it jumped at the store by a fellow square owner in his mid to late 20s driving a jacked up 80s blazer that sounded good! Props to him
Take it back it should still be under warranty. I have had a Neverstart Gold before the 3rd year is up I exchange it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I looked all over for the biggest cca when i got this one, it came from napa. Its a napa legend 1050 ca, its a great battery! Whirls that ol 350 over like a drunk carney runnin the marry go round.
Probably a Deka maybe Exide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35