Disc brake conversion doesn't have E brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
That's what I'm talking about

If you go to the parts store their gonna give you reman Eldorado/Cadillac calipers. They wont work for very long. BUT... if you pay 3 times as much and get a set of brand new calipers from GM then they should last a lot longer.

My E brake has been working great for 10 years. Cause I never use it.

I really just want to have it in the event that I need it. I won't probably even use it a whole bunch but it'd be good to have. I know the parts guy at my local GM dealership so maybe just maybe I can get a deal.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
What about the stock prop valve?

I know there is a pin on the top of the valve and I'm pretty sure it has to be depressed while bleeding the brakes in the rear. Is this true?

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Just a new idea

I haven't looked into it yet but doing tire work as I do everyday,I work on Subaru's. The new Subaru's and some other vehicles have a button that you push and in appies the e-brake not sure how yet I'm thinking it's hydraulic? I'm gonna look into it since I'm finally getting back to work on my square!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I bought my truck with the disc conversion already done and that's great and everything but it doesn't have an e brake set up. I've heard that you have to use Cadillac calipers if you want a working e brake. Are there any other sollutions to this problem?

The 14 bolt SF apparently came stock on newer suvs with disc brakes and a factory drum E brake.

Cant remember exactly what years but they say to just swap in the newer axle and be done with it. Otherwise you need to get a spacer and cant run the E brake.

Any ways this is something Im gonna be looking into soon

cyclic

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
If you have a six lug, you can swap in a disk rear from a 99ish to 02 truck. Not very hard at all. Plus it's a wider rear axle so you don't need spacers. Same with the 14bolt but it's much less common.

Here's my suburban.................

You must be registered for see images attach

Not pictured is the parking brake cables which I installed post pics, but was very easy as I took the entire system with the axle including the brackets.

Compliments my Hummer H3 front brake conversion..................

You must be registered for see images

Four piston calipers, disk over hub, 12.4 inch diameter, and 14x1.5 lugs matching the rear. Only draw back is it requires 16 inch rims and proper caliper clearance.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you have a six lug, you can swap in a disk rear from a 99ish to 02 truck. Not very hard at all. Plus it's a wider rear axle so you don't need spacers. Same with the 14bolt but it's much less common.

Here's my suburban.................

Not pictured is the parking brake cables which I installed post pics, but was very easy as I took the entire system with the axle including the brackets.

Compliments my Hummer H3 front brake conversion..................

You must be registered for see images

Four piston calipers, disk over hub, 12.4 inch diameter, and 14x1.5 lugs matching the rear. Only draw back is it requires 16 inch rims and proper caliper clearance.

Hey very cool!

Do you have a link to where I can buy that sway bar quick disconnect set up ?

I would like to run it not as a quick disconnect but as a spacer instead of the blocks off the cross member.

cyclic

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Exactly why I went that route. Unbinds the front suspension making it ride much smoother. By keeping the sway bar and going with the wider rear axle (front is also wider by about an inch due to brake conversion) I get a much more stable truck. Corners much better than it used to, feels more like a newer truck with the way it drives and rides. Most people can't believe how nice it rides. All from careful selection of lift parts and building it as a system instead of just a list of parts. Everything was picked to work together.

The links are from Zone Offroad. http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-suspension-sway-bar-link-chevy-gmc-blazer-jimmy-pickup-suburban/c5401

They run less than $50 for the set, well worth it.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Exactly why I went that route. Unbinds the front suspension making it ride much smoother. By keeping the sway bar and going with the wider rear axle (front is also wider by about an inch due to brake conversion) I get a much more stable truck. Corners much better than it used to, feels more like a newer truck with the way it drives and rides. Most people can't believe how nice it rides. All from careful selection of lift parts and building it as a system instead of just a list of parts. Everything was picked to work together.

The links are from Zone Offroad. http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-suspension-sway-bar-link-chevy-gmc-blazer-jimmy-pickup-suburban/c5401

They run less than $50 for the set, well worth it.

Thanks for the link to the zone sway bar link. I was just trying to explain to my buddy with a 6" lift he needs something like that.

How hard was it for you to put the new spring perches on that rear axle? Where did you get them from?

cyclic

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
The spring perches were from Summitracing, you cut the bump stops off the new axle and they go right there. You'll also have to redo the shock mounts, basically shorten and set the angle. The drive shaft was a bolt in affair, zero mods needed. Both axles are 10 bolt and use the same u joint. All-in-all an easy swap as far as axle swaps go. Spring perch, shock mount, made an extension for the brake line (was same size, just needed to go from right side to left), then the parking brakes. Was really easy. It kicked my bottom due to doing it completely by myself with limited tools, but the actual work was easy. A good buddy and/or a lift and it would have been stupid easy.

I relocated my bump stops to outside the frame and over the spring plates. Due to the brake line T being right inline to the old chevy ones. I used the left old chevy bump stop mount to mount my brake line. The only non factory parts used was the line extension going from the stock frame side to the left bump stop. Everything else is replaceable at autozone, advanced, or GM. This also includes my H3 front conversion, I did use a drill bit to open the rotor up to fit the 14x1.5 new front lugs.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep Thanks for the link :)