Disc brake conversion doesn't have E brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I bought my truck with the disc conversion already done and that's great and everything but it doesn't have an e brake set up. I've heard that you have to use Cadillac calipers if you want a working e brake. Are there any other sollutions to this problem?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
ive run into the same problem,

1.caddy calipers(ive hurd they absolutely suck)

2.line lock(it loosed pressure over time)

3. Driveline brake(need a np205 and its kinda expensive)

number 3 is the best solution ive found so far

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Many states (including California) have it written in their motor vehicle laws that e-brakes must be held in the on position strictly by mechanical means. That rules out line locks.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I wonder how I can get this done? Maybe I'll invent something and become a kazillionaire! Guess I'd probably need a forge and I'm no metallurgist! I'll keep searching.

Last edited:

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I tried one of those e-brakes on the drive shaft. small disc set up. didn't work for squat. someone needs to make a drum one like on medium trucks. drums work much better than disc for e-brakes. highdesertranger

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have a disc brake conversion on my to do list also (someday). Since there are no vehicle inspections here I was thinking about the line lock.

If it has to be mechanical:
You must be registered for see images

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Just park it up against somthing like a honda that might keep it from rolling away

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I wonder how I can get this done? Maybe I'll invent something and become a kazillionaire! Guess I'd probably need a forge and I'm no metallurgist! I'll keep searching.

please do, and ill be your test dumby

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
After much investigation on the web I found that Cadillac El Dorado caliper's may be my only and easiest fix. I also found that you don't always have to change the proportioning valve but it's best to do so if you want ease of adjustment.

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
1.caddy calipers(ive hurd they absolutely suck)

To me this doesn't make sense. Your rear brakes realistically only do 30% of the work duties. I would think these would work just fine. I have heard a couple of these stories too, but if you really dissect the problems, it is not the parts fault. Some have had problems with bleeding and some ending up being prop valve problems in the end.

And I do fully agree you should install a manually adjustable prop valve so can dial in your new set-up. Kid at work put in a generic "disk conversion" non-adjustable valve in his '57 Chevy. He had all kinds of bleeding and operational problems, and I kept telling him to put in a adjustable. He finally did, works great, and he could hook up his line-lock again.

It would be interesting to research what, if any, other vehicles had 14FF axles with discs from the factory, and see how to swap them to our older axles.

edit: After a quick search, looks like all 14FF's came with drums. In 2001 GM went to the AAM axles that could be had with disks. Don't know what the spring perch width is on those, maybe those could be a swap possibility. Will be more $$ for sure, but parts would be for specific year of truck and not a mosh pit of parts. Just me thinking out loud...

Last edited:

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
@Green79Scottsdale/ I actually bought the truck with the conversion already done. The only way I can figure to put the e-brake is to buy Caddy calipers. I figured..... Like you said, I would install the new adjustable prop valve and hope to hell that it works!!! Thank you for the info! It's been a lot of research and I believe it just might work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's two reasons the Caddy calipers suck. They tend to seize up if the vehicle sits around much and they don't keep ratcheting out like they are supposed to, causing little to no rear brake action and a spongy pedal. Also, the park brake mechanism does not work well and they don't hold the vehicle very well at all.

GM only used them for a handful of years because of the issues with them.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Oh crap! So I'm S.O.L. as far as a parking break goes! Guess I will have to park it up against a Honda like NOPHO84K30 said or on top of a Honda! Back to the drawing board.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Nice boot!

I have a disc brake conversion on my to do list also (someday). Since there are no vehicle inspections here I was thinking about the line lock.

If it has to be mechanical:
You must be registered for see images

I could use "The Boot" that's an excellent idea and pic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus