Did they ever make keys specifically with the GMC or Chevy bowtie logo on it? Or did all squares use the generic GM logo keys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
From what I know, Cadillac had the only "special" keys for a good long while. They were gold in color and had the crest on them.

Pontiac did too. Back when I was 11, we (my older brother and I) acquired a golf cart key. While spending time at our store, I spent hours looking over the various keys on the rotisserie rack, comparing the slots, slot spacing, slot shapes and widths, etc to the golf cart key. I found a cool Pontiac key that fit the bill, but it was too wide, so after I cut the key, I filed it down to narrow it up. That was my key for when the parents would go to the bar or out to dinner without us, and we would then go have fun with the various golf carts. I still have the key somewhere, I will try to find it.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Round key is D and square is C. The two halves of the key that rub together are 100% smooth and almost pure brass, but the opposing sides are still somewhat normal looking, just old as hell lol. That would be super cool if you had some, but if not it's all good

I meant to look at work today, but of course I forgot. I will check Monday, C (square) & D (round).

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I meant to look at work today, but of course I forgot. I will check Monday, C (square) & D (round).
Awesome man, no rush. Thank you

Also, here just to make sure we're talking about the right stamps

Attachments

• KIMG1271.JPG
    KIMG1271.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Awesome man, no rush. Thank you

Also, here just to make sure we're talking about the right stamps
Yes, C and D is correct for an '87.

Getting into the late 80's though, it seems like GM stopped changing them every year on some or all of the vehicles. I've never determined if there was any rhyme or reason to it.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes, C and D is correct for an '87.

Getting into the late 80's though, it seems like GM stopped changing them every year on some or all of the vehicles. I've never determined if there was any rhyme or reason to it.
Yes, you are correct. They did stop changing the blanks.

@RecklessWOT
I looked through many keys today. I found D's, but no C's.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is what I have:
Lots of A & B's
Some D's
E's
H's
One J
and two K's

@Goldie Driver

I could not find that key chart at Classic Industries.
Did you save a link?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yes, you are correct. They did stop changing the blanks.

@RecklessWOT
I looked through many keys today. I found D's, but no C's.

Here is what I have:
Lots of A & B's
Some D's
E's
H's
One J
and two K's

@Goldie Driver

I could not find that key chart at Classic Industries.
Did you save a link?

I used a paper catalog !! :bleh:

However :

FOR my 80 : C ignition & D door.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My Chevys never did.My Fords had the Ford logo and it said Ford Family of Fine cars on it.
yes. i have a pair of keys for an old maverick and my old ltd keys had that. the next gen keys just said ford like a simpleton designed it.

Also ford had some thick ass keys no bending those accidently.
i dont have gm blanks but I have a **** ton of keys for like 15+ cars and trucks over years. No use for them, i already found the ones for the square and the cars. lol.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Pontiac did too. Back when I was 11, we (my older brother and I) acquired a golf cart key. While spending time at our store, I spent hours looking over the various keys on the rotisserie rack, comparing the slots, slot spacing, slot shapes and widths, etc to the golf cart key. I found a cool Pontiac key that fit the bill, but it was too wide, so after I cut the key, I filed it down to narrow it up. That was my key for when the parents would go to the bar or out to dinner without us, and we would then go have fun with the various golf carts. I still have the key somewhere, I will try to find it.
75 grand am keys were generic. but thats just one car one year. also thank god GM ditched the god forsaken ugly design after the 91 end of the classic key. didnt age well and prob wasnt good then either.

I just want to know why such a fat door key

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
75 grand am keys were generic. but thats just one car one year. also thank god GM ditched the god forsaken ugly design after the 91 end of the classic key. didnt age well and prob wasnt good then either.

I just want to know why such a fat door key

To differentiate from the other double cut key ?

:think:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver

Please, what are the letter codes for my 1974 Jimmy?
I can't read them at all. I think my '82 is J & K.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
To differentiate from the other double cut key ?

:think:
but with the resistor or the black head i feel like it would be easy to tell if you just had a normal size key the size is actually bad if you use it on your door and the key tumblr is a little stiff you can almost twist the key and snap it with little effort. I put a small twist in this one when the trunk had soem freeze and it didnt get hard till the end of the turn. Didnt even try hard at all. The large area provides so much leverage and those quick turns are recipe for whoops

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver

Please, what are the letter codes for my 1974 Jimmy?
I can't read them at all. I think my '82 is J & K.

Fascinating.

If I narrow it down to Jimmy for '74, no results.

Going all Models nets this :

J Ignition

No door listed.

No door or ignition for the '82.

My Guess !!!!

J & K for the '74.

@Snoots - what year is your Jimmy ?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
my 1990 oldsmobile 88 has C and D keys for reference if that helps anything.
77 buick electra has E and H
80 GMC has _ and D (The key on my key set is a cut from a long time ago but has no letter) A and K oh wait no I put a new tumblr in since my Original key was snapped off in the ignition and my gpa ground it down a bit and used a screw driver for a long time and I put a key in it so 1) it could be turned on without reaching for a ******* screw driver and 2 ) it could be a little more tamper resistent than the ignition always being turnable lol. I can prob find the twisted off head somewhere in the house. but i wont put effort to find it. I have no idea if i just looked at all this for nothing either but yay sharing. UPDATE NOTE. I found original keys. The Door key is a K but the cut I am using is a D, and they are cut the same. And the A is the ignition key. Odd.

1980 olds cutlass supreme is A and D
the 78 K10 looks like E and H but this set may be for the 77 k25 that is junk i dont remember which set this was for
78 K10 is J and K for some reason I have the whole ignition tumblr inside... but at least i know what it came out of
77 K25 was E and H

also found that damn maverick key set. puts the huge 90s keys I just showed to shame. Damn ford really making sure people know your key is in their pocket. Cant afford to not turn the lock on that trunk lid now.

all the bold are ignition, door in that order.

Also I found a briggs and stratton key but Its a GM key but I have no idea what its for. The knock out part is still there and it has a serial number 9326 but I wonder what it went to. "GM: Your Key to Greater Value" oh such a wholesome thing to stamp on a stick of metal you turn **** with.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
1940-1966 ignition and doors FOR pontiac according to the B10 non-car-looking-door-key next to it. Huh. I dont know of any pontiacs they had from that vintage in the past. prob was a junker or a short lived family car. Unless B10 could be more than pontiac but my research lead to that

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Mine is a '73.
I found all manner of keys but can't put my finger on my spare set of truck keys

My originals are with the truck that's in the shop. I'll keep looking and let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue