Did they ever make keys specifically with the GMC or Chevy bowtie logo on it? Or did all squares use the generic GM logo keys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viktor Kovacs

Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
5.7L
Title. Thank you!

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
They all come with the same GM keys,someone else made these specialty keys.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
From what I know, Cadillac had the only "special" keys for a good long while. They were gold in color and had the crest on them.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
From what I know, Cadillac had the only "special" keys for a good long while. They were gold in color and had the crest on them.
Noticed that when a ‘70 deville was in the shop.
Also noticed the 64 bel air I’ve been working on has the standard rounded/squared GM keys, but there’s lightning bolts on both sides lol. Don’t think those are original but they’re still kinda cool

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Noticed that when a ‘70 deville was in the shop.
Also noticed the 64 bel air I’ve been working on has the standard rounded/squared GM keys, but there’s lightning bolts on both sides lol. Don’t think those are original but they’re still kinda cool
Pre-'67 were the Briggs and Stratton type keys. Originally, anyway.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My Chevys never did.My Fords had the Ford logo and it said Ford Family of Fine cars on it.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
My Chevys never did.My Fords had the Ford logo and it said Ford Family of Fine cars on it.

I remember those !

Check out my Kwality GM repos from Classic Industries:

:anitoof:

Attachments

• 20210316_093156.jpg
    20210316_093156.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 65

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
All my Dodges had the Chrysler logo on them. I don't recall what the '69 Mustang I bought for myself when I came back from Vietnam as my reward for surviving had on them. I don't think I ever really looked. To busy burning rubber!
My mom has the only pictures of it that were ever taken. She's with my sister up in Illinois and due to dang cell phones I have no idea how to get hold of her anymore. I wish I had those pics, I'll tell you that. I'd love to see what I looked like fresh from the killing at 20 years old.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
My 77 k10 still has a set of these original keys
I still have the original keys for my '87 too. Though after being in my pocket for years the "mark of excellence" is damn near impossible to read. I'd love new ones. Also, that would drive me crazy having the door key upside down like that

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I still have the original keys for my '87 too. Though after being in my pocket for years the "mark of excellence" is damn near impossible to read. I'd love new ones. ....

I still have a few original uncut GM blanks left. I don't have all the letters A-K, I think they used.

Can you still read the letters on your blanks? If you can, tell me what you need and I'll see if there are any left. If they match what I have, I'll mail them to you.

Somewhere there also should be a list, for which letters for which years.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I still have the original keys for my '87 too. Though after being in my pocket for years the "mark of excellence" is damn near impossible to read. I'd love new ones. Also, that would drive me crazy having the door key upside down like that

Ha hah - that's why I used it.

:pepper:

The stamping on these is pretty thick - I bought 2 sets and the other door key is non upside down, but not stamped as deep.

I had to find a local hardware store to get the keys cut as Wally world could not do them, and it seems like home depot was the same. Wally world's machine was not set up to handle this style "short head" blank.

@Turbo4whl - the Classic Industries letter coding is what I used in the key section- it lists them by year.

It worked for me, so maybe @RecklessWOT can use that chart to get the info needed for your kind offer.

:waytogo:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In most cases keys should be all oriented the same direction imo.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I still have a few original uncut GM blanks left. I don't have all the letters A-K, I think they used.

Can you still read the letters on your blanks? If you can, tell me what you need and I'll see if there are any left. If they match what I have, I'll mail them to you.

Somewhere there also should be a list, for which letters for which years.
Round key is D and square is C. The two halves of the key that rub together are 100% smooth and almost pure brass, but the opposing sides are still somewhat normal looking, just old as hell lol. That would be super cool if you had some, but if not it's all good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120