Diagnostics Cable Adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuckollsr

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
4.3L
I'm looking for an adapter cable to plug my modern OBDII code reader into the data port of my 1987 GMC R1500. I've ordered two cables that were supposed to mate with the truck but their connectors were incompatible. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I suggest you may have better luck in a website whose trucks have that connection in them.
Nobody here has that. Wtf u ask us for?

*rhetorical

I fix mine with a paperclip and a #2 phillips :shrug:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm looking for an adapter cable to plug my modern OBDII code reader into the data port of my 1987 GMC R1500. I've ordered two cables that were supposed to mate with the truck but their connectors were incompatible. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Gm used their own language back then. Your Obd2 scanner isn't going to be able to communicate ,even if you get a cable. Those old GM aldl connectors you short terminal a to terminal b and its flash diagnostics. 1 long check engine light flash 2 quick ones is code 12. So on and so forth. If you use a paperclip make sure it's a real deal old metal paperclip with no coating. Yes I was fooled by a plain looking silver paperclip that had some stupid coating on it once.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-18_213205.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-18_213205.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
As stated, that's not possible. Your truck longgggg predates OB2, you'll have to use the paper clip method posted above

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Will flash 12 three times then current codes starting with smallest numbered ones first. Each code will flash three times then will move to next code three times if more than one. Back to 12 again when all codes have been flashed. Do not disconnect power until all codes have been read.

Usually the diagnostic procedure begins with lowest numbered code first. Occasionally, one failure will cause several codes. Keep in mind OBD1 systems are not very smart. They do not read misfires, evap and many other failures.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
ALDLDroid on an android device and a Bluetooth ALDL cable from 1320 electronics is what I use to have nearly all the capability of a scan tool. you can monitor almost everything the computer sees. I don't see 1320 website working. red devil river also makes one, but you will have to use their power jumper.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size

This is what i have and using a laptop.

Nuckollsr

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
4.3L
I was not expecting the '87 to communicate in OBDII . . . agreed that it's a modern, more universal protocol. The reader I have was advertised to read legacy protocols . . . it does a scan for a variety of protocols during boot-up. But they didn't offer interface adapters. I've tried several adapters that claim to plug a modern OBDII cable into the older, target vehicle but the vehicle-side connector failed to mate with my truck. Not a big deal . . . yeah, the paper-clip hack works. Just disappointed that claims by the code reader have been impossible to realize. Life trudges on!

RetroC10Sport: Thanks for the tip on obd2allinone.com . . . . I'll check 'em out!

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
RetroC10Sport: Thanks for the tip on obd2allinone.com . . . . I'll check 'em out!
I paid $15 for my cable used off ebay but that's where it is from. You can probably use winaldl for the program. That's what I used for my old TBI engines as I recall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d