Dash/Stereo Progress and Wiring Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn Watson

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
After sitting all summer, I finally got the chance to dye the dash charcoal and assemble with new fancies from USA1, new a/c vents from LMC a couple of tweeters, a tach and finish my speaker box. I'm definitely pleased with the look thus far.

While the dash and kick panels are out, I'd like to get the wires for aftermarket power windows and keyless-entry door locks run (even if just terminated for now) over and into the doors so I hopefully don't have to dick around removing the kick panels with expensive speakers later on when it's time for doors. Is that really even feasible?

What are some other things to think about before installing this stuff so, God willing, I don't have to pull it back out? In typing this, I remembered the dummy alarm LED I need to punch a small hole for. See?

Shawn

Attachments

• IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 72

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Actually installing a legitimate alarm and a kill switch - flat screwdriver and these beauty’s are gone

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Actually installing a legitimate alarm and a kill switch - flat screwdriver and these beauty’s are gone
You must be registered for see images attach

My opinion is a fuel cutoff would be more effective than a kill switch,any good thief is going to anticipate and know how to bypass your kill switch. The car starts then dies and won't restart is more of a head scratcher and I doubt they want to chance figuring out what went wrong.Especially when good Samaritans start trying to help or police wanting to know why they are holding up traffic etc.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You must be registered for see images attach

My opinion is a fuel cutoff would be more effective than a kill switch,any good thief is going to anticipate and know how to bypass your kill switch. The car starts then dies and won't restart is more of a head scratcher and I doubt they want to chance figuring out what went wrong.Especially when good Samaritans start trying to help or police wanting to know why they are holding up traffic etc.

There's a lot of stupid theives too. When I worked at the shop, we once had a customer's car get the window busted out and the column broken, but they couldn't make off with the car because there was no engine in it, lol.

Shawn Watson

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The whole point was to have a flashing light up somewhere they could see before they ever stuck a big, yellow screwdriver in the door jamb or destroyed your sliding rear window. Something to give them pause before they ruin something.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
When I got my 911 I asked one of my customers who ran one of the largest,if not the largest stereo and alarm shop in kansas city,what is the best alarm I can get. He told me instant on ,no lights no warnings. Leave the car unlocked. Thieves will think they have an easy mark,open the door and SURPRISE !!!!! all kinds of noise and they won't stick around to try to steal it. Doors unlocked they won't break your window or mess up your door etc. It was his profession so I took his advice.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
After sitting all summer, I finally got the chance to dye the dash charcoal and assemble with new fancies from USA1, new a/c vents from LMC a couple of tweeters, a tach and finish my speaker box. I'm definitely pleased with the look thus far.

While the dash and kick panels are out, I'd like to get the wires for aftermarket power windows and keyless-entry door locks run (even if just terminated for now) over and into the doors so I hopefully don't have to dick around removing the kick panels with expensive speakers later on when it's time for doors. Is that really even feasible?

What are some other things to think about before installing this stuff so, God willing, I don't have to pull it back out? In typing this, I remembered the dummy alarm LED I need to punch a small hole for. See?

Shawn
Man, that dash looks awesome! Where did the charcoal dye come from? That's the color of my interior, but it is tough to find. I installed the black urethane dash into my truck but am not that pleased with it. I definitely wish I would of spent the extra $ on the vinyl one instead. Your whole interior will be sweet!

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
When I got my 911 I asked one of my customers who ran one of the largest,if not the largest stereo and alarm shop in kansas city,what is the best alarm I can get. He told me instant on ,no lights no warnings. Leave the car unlocked. Thieves will think they have an easy mark,open the door and SURPRISE !!!!! all kinds of noise and they won't stick around to try to steal it. Doors unlocked they won't break your window or mess up your door etc. It was his profession so I took his advice.
Yes sir! I installed a Viper alarm in my '86 Monte SS AFTER my 1st stereo system was robbed. It went off after a second attempt a couple years later after they knocked out the trunk lock, but that was the only thing I had to replace/repair as they had to run off when the alarm sounded. Good thieves won't bust windows, they can get in with Slim Jims, or some other type of device.

Shawn Watson

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Man, that dash looks awesome! Where did the charcoal dye come from? That's the color of my interior, but it is tough to find. I installed the black urethane dash into my truck but am not that pleased with it. I definitely wish I would of spent the extra $ on the vinyl one instead. Your whole interior will be sweet!
I'm pretty sure I got it from USA1 when I bought a few other things. Thanks!

70SBUDGET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RYAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 CUSTOM
Engine Size
id make a bracket and mount the light inside the defrost vent. easily visible. no damage to dash. :)
beautiful work btw!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
id make a bracket and mount the light inside the defrost vent. easily visible. no damage to dash. :)
beautiful work btw!
Seems like I remember mounting LED’s in the dash vents being a popular interior accent upgrade circa 2000 or so. I like that idea

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First comment, looks awesome!
Second comment, I haven’t and likely won’t ever install any kind of alarm but I believe in the element of surprise. As in seemingly easy target, bam alarm starts screaming.
But I’m banking on the other element of surprise like @Ricko1966 said with the fuel cutoff. And the leave the doors unlocked theory. (One of our sons buddies was just over this weekend. Stupid thieves broke both back windows out of his new car. Kid is 19 and working hard for the nice car he bought. They stole his half wore out smelly steel toe boots and some other junk…and cost him 2 windows…said he’s done locking his car at home. Far more damage done than the contents lost.)
The blue truck will idle for approx 45seconds with no fuel pump running. (And it shouldn’t have an electric pump anyways so avg theif wont be thinking hey how come I dont hear a fuel pump ). Haven’t tried it yet but I suspect it will run maybe half that long at best if driving it. Just long enough for it to die on the road close to wherever it gets boosted. Then it’s just crank crank sputter more cranking. Hopefully in a very public location by then.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The blue truck will idle for approx 45seconds with no fuel pump running. (And it shouldn’t have an electric pump anyways so avg theif wont be thinking hey how come I dont hear a fuel pump ).

LOL… I dont think the average thief thinks of anything except how much meth they can buy once they flip your stollen sh t.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
LOL… I dont think the average thief thinks of anything except how much meth they can buy once they flip your stollen sh t.
Exactly and I’m banking on them not showing up in a stolen tow truck! Lol
If a pro wants it nothing will matter. But I’d say we’re about 97% tweakers and 3% real car thieves.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Exactly and I’m banking on them not showing up in a stolen tow truck! Lol
If a pro wants it nothing will matter. But I’d say we’re about 97% tweakers and 3% real car thieves.
I know A LOT of professional thieves (car, identity, residential Etc.) they’re all tweekers. If I were to guess I’d say less than 0.1% are not steeling to support the habit. Out of that minority most are just opportunists, the ones that only snag low lying fruit because they have no morals.

Even if someone has spotted your car and wants to take it from you, odds are they will employ a tweaker to actually boost it for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli