Wiring harness advice pertaining to bulkhead and smoothing firewall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sqhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cheyenne
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom k10
Engine Size
I’m looking at American auto wire and painless kits for complete rewire of truck. I liked the idea of getting the kit that is just for the truck for easy layout, but they have the original bulkhead also. I am trying to smooth the firewall and don’t want the bulk head. Any advice if someone has used one of these kits with bulkhead and you can just install it all under the dash or would it be to cluttered and I would be better off using a universal kit. The original kit seemed to have all the connectors I need as well, because I don’t want to reuse any of the old ones. The universal doesn’t seem to have all of them. Advice on wiring harness kit and keeping firewall smooth?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've never seen another brand with the large bulkhead connector like GM had. Most others I've messed with would go to weather proof underhood relay boxes and then into the dash on both sides via the fenders/A-pillars with fuse panels on the firewall under the dash.

I had planned to use the bulkhead setup (removed all connectors and cleaned it like new for installing new connectors), but the idea of compartmentalized under the hood boxes and under the dash fuse panels is VERY appealing also.

I got the Painless universal (w/GM column) for half what they wants for the one with the new connector - had far more circuits too. Would be easy to mount it all in boxes or under the dash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005