cutting for radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Sure everyone has done it. But looking at new gauage clusters and when i get a new one and i have to cutout for my pioneer radio i just dont know the best wayto go about this? How have you guys done this? Thanks

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Use the trim ring from around the radio to make the rdges for the cuts you need to make.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Use the trim ring from around the radio to make the rdges for the cuts you need to make.

I'll just add to this. I like to use a grinder with a cutoff wheel if you're not confident use a dremel with a cutoff.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I just did this recently modifying the plastic bezel wasn't too bad. But, enlarging the actual steel dash behind it and fabricating a support bracket was tough, much more labor intensive.

The trim ring on the head unit is the limiting dimension - it just barely fits in the recessed area. You need to get the lower right hand corner as tight to the bezel border as possible. When you get it positioned scribe the inside of the opening. You only want the opening to be as big as the actual head unit - the sleeve goes behind the bezel and gets bracketed to the dash frame.

On the bezel, I drilled the 4 corners and used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade to make the rough opening. Dial it in with a lot of filing.

The steel dash opening needs to be enlarged as well. I used an air powered high speed cut-off tool. Don't completely detach the pieces you cut out. Leave the bottom connected and bend it back in towards the fire wall - it helps support the head unit sleeve.

Here are some images of how close the fit is:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Hey chengny that looks good. I used the same process when I did mine and it worked well.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That turned out great Jerry. I was going to suggest using a Sawzall, but that can get away from you in a big hurry then you cut to much. I like Jason's suggestion of using a Dremel with a small cut off wheel. I need to cut 2 of mine. I hate to since the metal and the bezel are still OEM. But, it's gotta be done so may as well just jump into it. I already have the Stereo's just a matter of installing them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Don't completely detach the pieces you cut out. Leave the bottom connected and bend it back in towards the fire wall - it helps support the head unit sleeve.

This way will only work well if you make a support bracket (like you did). Without a support bracket, the head unit's sleeve needs those little tabs bent down right behind the face of the dash so the head unit stays tight and doesn't droop. If the dash metal is folded down, it gets in the way of those little tabs.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just out of curiosity, I suppose the steel part of the dash radio opening is different pre-1988?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just out of curiosity, I suppose the steel part of the dash radio opening is different pre-1988?

Yep, the later years got a bigger stereo. You'd probably need a filler to use the single DIN stereo head unit.

swagger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM-465/NP-205
I'll just add to this. I like to use a grinder with a cutoff wheel if you're not confident use a dremel with a cutoff.

Watch them sparks flying around
windows dont like spark showers. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello