Current Market On A 1982 C10 Regular Cab Short Box W Dual Tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Big Q

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks Memaloose, My daily is currently a 1998 GMT400 ExtCab 4x4 that was my father in laws truck before he passed...just turned 245,*** miles and running strong with as you mentioned routine maintenance. I'd daily this 82 with a grin each and every day if it works out. Appreciate your insights and looking forward to being on this forum more often. Perhaps I should bring the car trailer with me next time...."Just in case" ;)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If there’s a next time and the owner is literally holding out for a couple hundred bucks on a truck that apparently he couldn’t even clean up and park where it “looks” like it runs, you may never get it for your price.
However the difference of a couple hundred bucks is nothing compared to the money you’ll put into it.
If your either in love with that particular truck or have good reason to believe you’ll not have major $ invested in getting it restored, then I wouldn’t let a couple benjis stand in the way.
It has great potential. Short beds ARE more desirable with the collector/resto crowd.
If your budget is tight, I’d make a thorough list of known, expected, and potential costs to get it into the condition you intend to. Add all the known and expected and half the potential costs and see if it will appear worth it to you in the long run.
That will not only initially organize your thoughts and budget and give you a basis but will likely also show that a couple bucks on purchase price is insignificant in the big picture.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Whenever I’m looking at a used/old vehicle I do the same.
Buying the ‘86 last year, first blush, it seemed a bit expensive. Kinda thought I could get a comparable truck for a couple thousand less. But after adding up everything it DIDNT need, which turned out to be a lot longer list than the things it did need, it made sense.
So far, so good. If I don’t include (very expensive) new tires and tires and wheels which are completely cosmetic nothing wrong with what’s on it for many miles, I determined that “pre-paying” for what it didn’t need was a bargain compared to a truck that needed much more attention and many more parts.
And honestly I couldn’t “afford” the time it would take for a truck that needed more work than not. Not putting a dollar value to my time but putting a schedule to having a truck that was done, vs in pieces.
I’m a year into it since we quit driving it and tore it down for paint. If it needed “everything” it would probably still be in mechanical repairs stage vs almost ready to paint.

The Big Q

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks So Much Memaloose! Every time I get a response from the great team I get more attached to it and keep wondering if I should just bite the bullet and see if he will take $2750 w the wheels included - then I need to buy tires and all kinds of goodies!!!!

The Big Q

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks again Grit dog, Words of wisdom and totally agree.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm thinking the same thing as doubledingo. Even here in the land of rust, I would offer $2k, MAYBE $2500 if the thing was really that rust free and ran great. The guy left it parked in the weeds with a smashed in door, if it is such a great truck why isn't he driving it around himself? Interior is decent enough, but it obviously needs a good deep cleaning and the exterior needs a little body work and paint all around. Plus, after sitting so long I would think everything needs to be gone through (brakes, fluids, tune up, de-mousing, etc). If I were the guy selling it I'd at least take a shop-vac to the interior, park it on gravel and hit it with the hose... leaving it in the grass just says "I don't really care about this junk".

These trucks are older and becoming more desirable especially shortbeds, but let's all stop pretending like these things aren't still everywhere you look. Hell, in my town of under 5k people up in rusty new england I can think of almost 20 of them off the top of my head, some rusty piles in yards and some are shiny jacked up beauties. Just because they're getting older does not make them "rare", especially not a truck with square lights, it's not even 4x4. I'm not saying the guy is ripping you off, a decent truck is worth what it's worth, but don't overpay for a 40 year old truck that's been left sitting in the weeds with rust and dents, don't be afraid to offer what it's worth and haggle from there. If you offer $500 the guy will tell you to go kick rocks, but even if he was asking $3k, 2 is not an offensive offer, especially since you already said he's asking under $3k. Obviously he can counter somewhere closer to 3 and you can work him down to 25 or 22, maybe less depending on what it needs. He might be reasonable, who knows?

Whenever I buy a used vehicle, especially an older one, as long as the thing is not too far gone I say be prepared to pay full price and try to get it as low as you can from there. If what he's asking doesn't immediately turn you off, then show up with a trailer and cash (maybe a hundred or two less than he's asking so worst case scenario you can say "look man this is all I have, take it or leave it"). I never talk price before I get there, put him on the spot. If he wants to sell it and you're standing there in front of him with a trailer and a *** of cash, he'd have to be real stubborn to tell you to leave over a few hundred. If you see selling a car for $4k and your initial reaction is "hell no way would I pay that much, 2k max" then don't waste your time he probably won't come down enough to make it worth your while. But if he's asking $27-2800 ish and you think you can live with it, then hey worst case you still only paid a little more than you wanted. Stick with your gut, and hey you might as well try to save yourself a few bucks while you're there, can't hurt anything to ask for a better deal especially if it needs work and isn't already a steal...

Either way, looks like a decent truck to start with, hell I would probably even drive it just like that for the time being and not worry about it. I hope you get it. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

The Big Q

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
5.7L
I'm thinking the same thing as doubledingo. Even here in the land of rust, I would offer $2k, MAYBE $2500 if the thing was really that rust free and ran great. The guy left it parked in the weeds with a smashed in door, if it is such a great truck why isn't he driving it around himself? Interior is decent enough, but it obviously needs a good deep cleaning and the exterior needs a little body work and paint all around. Plus, after sitting so long I would think everything needs to be gone through (brakes, fluids, tune up, de-mousing, etc). If I were the guy selling it I'd at least take a shop-vac to the interior, park it on gravel and hit it with the hose... leaving it in the grass just says "I don't really care about this junk".

These trucks are older and becoming more desirable especially shortbeds, but let's all stop pretending like these things aren't still everywhere you look. Hell, in my town of under 5k people up in rusty new england I can think of almost 20 of them off the top of my head, some rusty piles in yards and some are shiny jacked up beauties. Just because they're getting older does not make them "rare", especially not a truck with square lights, it's not even 4x4. I'm not saying the guy is ripping you off, a decent truck is worth what it's worth, but don't overpay for a 40 year old truck that's been left sitting in the weeds with rust and dents, don't be afraid to offer what it's worth and haggle from there. If you offer $500 the guy will tell you to go kick rocks, but even if he was asking $3k, 2 is not an offensive offer, especially since you already said he's asking under $3k. Obviously he can counter somewhere closer to 3 and you can work him down to 25 or 22, maybe less depending on what it needs. He might be reasonable, who knows?

Whenever I buy a used vehicle, especially an older one, as long as the thing is not too far gone I say be prepared to pay full price and try to get it as low as you can from there. If what he's asking doesn't immediately turn you off, then show up with a trailer and cash (maybe a hundred or two less than he's asking so worst case scenario you can say "look man this is all I have, take it or leave it"). I never talk price before I get there, put him on the spot. If he wants to sell it and you're standing there in front of him with a trailer and a *** of cash, he'd have to be real stubborn to tell you to leave over a few hundred. If you see selling a car for $4k and your initial reaction is "hell no way would I pay that much, 2k max" then don't waste your time he probably won't come down enough to make it worth your while. But if he's asking $27-2800 ish and you think you can live with it, then hey worst case you still only paid a little more than you wanted. Stick with your gut, and hey you might as well try to save yourself a few bucks while you're there, can't hurt anything to ask for a better deal especially if it needs work and isn't already a steal...

Either way, looks like a decent truck to start with, hell I would probably even drive it just like that for the time being and not worry about it. I hope you get it. Welcome aboard!
Thanks So Much, RecklessWOT, I honestly thought they were rarer than I believed until I did a little more research only to find out there on the inner webs. Truth be told my intentions were to buy it and flip because of the rareness of a RCSB but as you mentioned they are old but they did build a lot of them. With all of that being said I actually spotted it in his collection from afar and thought to myself "Man, what a cool old truck. If it's all there I'd clearcoat the patina and daily drive it after going through the mechanicals knowingly I could make some money on the side". After confirming what you mentioned, him not caring if it is sold or not sold (as seen from the weeds), and seeing quite a few on FB marketplace I now have a better understanding of the market. The team here has been truly amazing but I will keep everyone posted if the purchase goes through ;)

Babs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet CUCV
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I see it's listed under your avatar, did you buy it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat