Cracked Frame Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's not a factory drilled or punched OEM hole is it??? Or is it and someone reloacted the shock mount due to the crack??? Things like that is why I prefer not to drill in a frame. Not even to relocate a crossmember if I can reasonably get away from it. But, drilling into a flange isn't near the risk of drilling in the side of the frame.

If you know a good welder, I think I'd have a good weld bead on the crack first before I put a patch over it too.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm not sure. I'll have to go to the junk yard and check. And when I got the truck the shocks were mounted in the higher spot already, so that's where I mounted the new shocks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not sure. I'll have to go to the junk yard and check. And when I got the truck the shocks were mounted in the higher spot already, so that's where I mounted the new shocks.

I'm thinking you probbly bought the truck lifted already huh?? So whoever lifted it, redrilled shock holes at the lower level of the frame instead of extending the shocks or getting longer one. Where they drilled the hole for the shock mount, and the stress on the frame to close to the edge, it cracked it out. Once they realized they screwed up, they put the shocks back in the right spot and then did the shocks right.
That's what it appears to me anyway.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure if that was a factory hole or not, but it definitely looks like something was mounted there, like a shock.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Here is pics of my rear shock mounting areas of the frame, but being a Burb I am not sure if it would be different or not from a P/U frame as fare as factory holes in it.

Pass side:

attachment.php

Driver's side:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 172

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It was lifted, but only 2 inches. I'm not sure if the frames are the same either. Anyone want to take a pic of their short box for me ?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The cracked hole is something someone drilled, the shock appears to be in the factory hole. Because of the unusual shape of the spot I'd try to get a small section of identical frame from another pick up and weld onto the inside of the rail.

Fwiw, pick ups and sub frames are different as well as the shock mounts for each.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The cracked hole is something someone drilled, the shock appears to be in the factory hole. Because of the unusual shape of the spot I'd try to get a small section of identical frame from another pick up and weld onto the inside of the rail.

Fwiw, pick ups and sub frames are different as well as the shock mounts for each.

I was thinking that, but the only junk yard around here wont let me cut the frame of another truck, and i dont have the money to but a parts truck.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
yea no cutting of frames is allowed insurance reasons

Any chance of finding a frame for cheap on CL that you can cut up?

It could even be a bent frame that someone has no use for but would be good for you since all you need is a piece. :shrug:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did you ask them if they can cut the section out for you? I used cut up frames and axles all the time when I worked at the salvage yard back in my 20's. They can fit more into the scrap bin cutting them up. I don't see why they wouldn't cut one for you.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Did you ask them if they can cut the section out for you? I used cut up frames and axles all the time when I worked at the salvage yard back in my 20's. They can fit more into the scrap bin cutting them up. I don't see why they wouldn't cut one for you.

Yes but you were in your 20's back around 1963 :shrug:

:birgits_tiredcoffee

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Its all about safety and also about liability. Its just not worth it to them. Sadly, its the ******** that clip and butcher unsafe cars that have caused this. In this case, this frame crack is not in a critical part. I'd almost say, just weld the crack and steel patch over the hole and is going to be well as is. Better safe than sorry and make it ever stronger than new by adding in a section of OEM frame as an overlay or inlay for insurance.

I'd imagine 2wd and 4wd are differant, and Long and Short bed are differant or I'd offer to cut the peice out of my bent frame truck and ship it. Depending on Retro is doing with his.... Doh, that won't work either, his is 2wd. I don't have a cordless sawzall and no 24d shortbeds in the Pull A Part, but I bet PAP wouldn't care.

How about just a flat piece of steel about 3 or 4 inches tall inside the frame rail???

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I will prolly just put a patch on top, side, and bottom, and box the back side. Might just do both sides of the frame while I'm at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast