Continuous TBI problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
I’m sure you guys are sick of reading these, but my 350 TBI is just getting worse. Now within the past few days it stopped wanting to idle. I did absolutely nothing to it except try to fix the stiff throttle cable, just replaced the TPS today and still did nothing. Truck still stalls coming to stops and it will not idle when it’s on an incline bit if I keep my foot on it there’s absolutely no issue. I took a closer look at it today and there’s a loud sucking sound when it first fires but it goes away in a second, and something in the throttle body is making a loud ticking sound. Do injectors make a ticking sound when they go bad? I think the passanger’s side injector is going bad bc I don’t see as much spray as the other one. The ticking is coming from the injectors because when I touch them they vibrate my hands from the ticking. I checked the timing again, it looks a couple degrees advanced but it’s really hard to tell, and the computer just sets it back anyways. The biggest issue is the stalling and surging/sputtering at idle. I put a brand new fuel pump on it in January. Never had an issue until a couple months ago. What’s going on? It’s just getting worse and worse everyday. Runs like a champ on the road and even highway speeds. Absolutely nothing wrong with it but it just won’t idle/or idle right on a lucky day. And I still have the issue where the service engine soon light comes on after going up hills and the truck instantly bogs down and runs like ****

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
intake manifold gasket leak? i had similar symptoms and that fixed it. or some other vacuum leak?

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Have you tried a noid light to test the injectors?
Also when you try to adjust timing have you disconnected the advance wire? It's usually under the brake booster or close to there.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
get a video or picture of the injector spray pattern.
They do make noise.
getting access to live data is essential otherwise you are just throwing parts at it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You can perform the aforementioned mood light test to confirm signal receipt. You can also do a low range impedance test; they should be 2.2-2.4 ohms or very close to that (according to my own readings). You can do a cycle test with a small nine volt battery and see if the click is audibly weak. That’s TBI injector 101. If it passes all these tests, and they’re not dirty, which you can send them to WitchHunter to be cleaned, they should be fine. I’d get a fuel pressure reading, as well. You can tee into the fuel filter area, and there are two connectors, one near the front right when the lines turn up and then where it screws into the TBI unit. You’d have to put a Schrader adapter in to utilize these two areas, though. What’s the mileage? An easy ignition verification would be to see that the cap and rotor don’t have carbon tracking and/or oxidation and the distributor isn’t rusted on the inside. You could take it a step further and test the pickup coil and ignition coil.

Last edited:

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
could the Idle air control valve be bad?

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I'm a big fan of Sea Foam if you think you might have injector issues. Clean them up and see if that fixes anything before you pull too much hair out.

BurbanPena

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
with the key off instal a jumper wire to port A and B on diagnostic connector turn the key on but don’t start check engine light will flash the idle air control valve on the passenger side of the TB should be vibrating wait 30seconds unplug the connector on the idle air control valve turn the key off remove jumper start the truck if truck will not start you will need to turn up the idle screw if you haven’t all ready you will need to drill out the plug that is covering it.turn up the throttle until it sounds good or use a rpm gauge i believe idle is around 900rpm turn truck off reinstall connector to valve.. disconnect the timing advance connector set timing to 0 reconnect and test truck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx