'87 TBI lurching and surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
'87 R10 TBI. About 2 days ago I started feeling the truck seeming to misfire when not giving it gas but still in gear.

Yesterday it started "lurching" after it had been running for a bit. Starting up was fine, in gear it would feel like it was missing gas then it got a double shot of gas repeatedly. Truck has not died yet but it starts up good but after a few minutes starts running rough.

I changed spark plugs bc I found two that were not up to standard. I changed fuel filter and it was pretty gross. After changing both, no change in behavior. Still lurching and surging like it is starved for gas then someone hit the NOS (NAWS) button.

Going to check for leaks tomorrow but figured it might sound familiar to someone.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Any backfiring through the exhaust?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I had a cracked torque converter control solenoid cause those symptoms once on my 1990 burb. but they only showed up after the converter locked once on a drive. I could drive around town fine as long as i never locked up. but if I locked the converter, it never fully unlocked and caused that when idling at a light.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’d check injectors and fuel pump.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I’d check injectors and fuel pump.
I thought about the fuel pump but I have factory dual tanks and both were behaving this way. I haven't pulled the tanks before but each one should have it's own pump so I think I ruled that out.

I'll look up how to test the injectors

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Assume it isn't tossing codes otherwise you would mention it? Possible ignition missfire? Distributor caps are a problem on those, especially if any brand other than Delphi or GM is used, will crossfire within the cap. Check coil tower for corrosion. Another easy check is vacuum, if not steady mechanical areas should be looked at.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Assume it isn't tossing codes otherwise you would mention it? Possible ignition missfire? Distributor caps are a problem on those, especially if any brand other than Delphi or GM is used, will crossfire within the cap. Check coil tower for corrosion. Another easy check is vacuum, if not steady mechanical areas should be looked at.
Haven't seen any but I will check the codes again. I was thinking misfire but then after it happens I put it in park and sit there and the idle just climbs and climbs then drops and does it again. Just noticed that

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I still haven't found the cause, checked all tubes all connections everything looks good.

In my annoyance I decided to drive it further to see if it would stall out. When I got home I realized the lights were dimming at the same time the lurching and surging was happening.

I parked and turned off the truck and the lights just kept going up and down. Definitely seems like alternator could be cause. It was really rainy today so going to check further tomorrow thanks everyone for the help and ideas

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
That bit me once really bad. Now I check it on every car with drivability issues. Very easy with a digital VM.
One if the problems was it would only happen in gear. I couldn't get it in gear and test or observe anything at the same time. Running a solo operation lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod